Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

Can I replace my D Assemblies with less expensive Halogen

Customer Question

can I replace my HID Assemblies with less expensive Halogen headlight assemblies on a 2005 9-3 Aero. Came from factory with HID.
Category: Saab
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. The answer to your question is yes but it will require some work, first most hid bulbs will allow the installation of a regular bulb into the housing, you would have to take your hid bulb and find a bulb suitable for hi or low beam and match it up in other words the base of the bulb will be the same so it will go in the housing. Next you are gonna have to do some wiring your HID bulbs run on a much much higher voltage than the 12 volt replacement your installing. So you are gonna have to "bypass" the transformer. The transformer that fires that HID bulb receives an input from the light switch that is 12 volts, you would take this input and wire it to a socket for the bulb you selected. Purchase the connector for the bulb along with bulb. I have done this on many cars and so far have not had any problems other than some systems may give a false bulb out message. IF you are interested in doing this I could help by pulling wiring diagrams and instructing you as to which wires to cut and where to splice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HID assembly lense cover is shattered due to hitting a deer, minor damage, high beam works, but to replace the assembly itself is $600 plus another HID bulb

I understand, well since your headlight housing is broken you will have to replace that, have you tried a salvage yard or maybe Keystone? After replacing the housing at that point you could convert it back to a regular bulb. In my opinion the HID bulbs and there systems are not worth the price espicially after the car is a few years old. Hopefully a salvage yard Or LKQ.com or keystone or ebay somewhere you can find a housing cheaper. Have I answered your question satisfactory to you? Or can I help you in some other way on this? If I have please give me a positive rating as it is the only way I will receive credit for helping you. I look forward to hearing from you, have a great day