Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

I have a 1997 SAAB 9000 with manual transmission. Recently

Customer Question
there has been a "noise"...
I have a 1997 SAAB 9000 with manual transmission. Recently there has been a "noise" which seems to be coming from the rear axle on the driver's side. It isn't constant and I've recently discovered that I can stop the noise by stepping on the brake and the noise also stops when the car hits 25 mph exactly! My service station has tried to locate the problem but it never seems to happen when it's there. A friend just suggested that it might be the speedometer cable. Interestingly, the car just turned 250,000 miles and now the noise seems to have disappeared but the speedometer still works fine. Thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Saab
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2015
Saab Mechanic: john aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy

have they checked the brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
said they're fine.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure if I should be waiting for a reply from you

have you duplicated the noise with your mechanic? has he run it in the air to try and find the source?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think you've read my initial statement. The noise isn't constant and it hasn't occurred when it's been in there. He has done what you asked. By the way, why has the additional $18 been charged to my card? You haven't answered my question yet.

im not in charge of billing and we are still in info request hat session.. Im gathering info from you in attempt to give you a educated answer. You need to remember Im trying to diagnose a car that I have not seen touched or driven so as much detailed info you can give me is needed

if the noise goes away by stepping on the brakes that tells me its brake related. I would have him check the caliper and look closely at the pads.. The problem lies there

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate that but I'm upset that my card has been charged as if we're done. I'll take that up with billing. Since the brakes have been checked and many other things as well trying to get to the root of the problem, I can't say that I'm satisfied with your answer. I'm sure you're fine mechanic and an honest guy but I've already done what you're suggesting. Thanks anyway.

did he replace the pads?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He said they were fine and that they didn't need to be replaced

I will contact customer service for you in regards ***** ***** double billing... I personally have none of that info... Im positive if the noise goes away under stopping that its brake pad that is glazed or has a hard spot.. You usually can not see with the naked eye..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks John. Have a good night.

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry but since the brakes have been thoroughly checked by my mechanic I can't honestly say that I am satisfied with your answer. I originally thought it was the brakes too and that is where they focused initially but there is nothing wrong with the brakes.

if the noise goes away under braking im 100 percent positive its a brake issue... either a dragging caliper or a defective pad.. If you mechanic is stumped with a noise coming from the brakes that goes away when your brake is applied..I think you should have a different mechanic or shop check this... Most shops offer free brake inspections

john aka eauto
john aka eauto
john aka eauto, The Car Guy