Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Saab 9-3 Aero: The A/C compressor will not come on. Took it

Customer Question

The A/C compressor will not come on. Took it to local mechanic and he just evacuated, vacuum tested and recharged the system lol. Compressor will still not come on. I checked the fuse and it was ok. I purchased a new relay and am a bit confused as to the location, Where is he A/C compressor relay located ?, pulled the one the box in front of the battery (as per the owners manual) and it doesn't look anything like the one the auto parts store sold me?
Category: Saab
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello!Its in the fuse panel next to the battery. Heres a picture of exactly where it goes and the pins it has:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok now i'm really confused lol. The owners manual shows that space empty, went out and poped the cover and low and behold no relay in that slot. I placed the relay in that space as per your diagram and Arrow. Still no A/C but it makes the engine run Rough???
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Did the AC ever work for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just tried this summer, thought it was blowing a little cool but not cold,just really got concerned about it as it is blowing hot now that it is in the 100's here, maybe it wasn't working at all?
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
So the ac never worked for you?
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
So the ac never worked for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also were it shows a relay in the "Preheated oxygen sensors (lambda probe)" there isn't one
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no not cold ever
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had A/C checked locally they just Evacuated, vacuum tested and recharged, even though it was not low or leaking, says 1.5 lbs is full, charged $150.00 and sent me on my way
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
So the compressor never ran nor they did not check it to see if it ran?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no he did not check
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
told me to check the fuse and relay
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Ok, when you put the relay in does the engine slow down and do you hear any noises from the belt area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when i called back after their service
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Right,when you put the relay in does the engine slow down and do you hear any noises from the belt area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the only change after placing the relay where you told me to, is that i get a slight noise followed by intermittent rough idle, as for a noise in the belt area uncertain if no
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
slight noise maybe a light knock opposed to a click
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Can you see the AC Compressor pulley?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
removed plastic cover from engine top, cannot even see serpentine belt? maybe not looking in the right spot which side Battery / Turbo side ?? or passenger ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we are discussing 2007 9-3 Aero 6cyl Turbo ?
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like the compressor is jammed and someone removed the relay to stop it from engaging. It probably needs a new compressor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it like that that's why the other relay is missing as well?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is a relay were the owners manual shows A/C compressor "in front of the battery" just wasn't one were they show a blank spot were you had me place one?
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Two manuals show that to be the compressor relay location one manual is from saab. The other relay position is vacant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i see, my wise manual and owners manual show it to be vacant, but it does how ever produce some type of erratic engine performance as i placed one there, maybe indicating a locked up compressor??
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Yes, exactly a locked up or hard to turn compressor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oic, i will go to the shop and physically check the compressor functionality ( eyes on ) to see if it is doing any thing at all, can i get back to you?
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Sure!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and would the missing ""Preheated oxygen sensors (lambda probe)" relay have anything to do with this situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great! Thank You! I will check the compressor and get back to you.
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
I wouldnt mess with the lamda probe unless you have a check engine light and a code for that part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, noted, thanks again ill get back to you after i go check the compressor
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Sure!