Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

Saab 93: Just bought a 2005 Saab 93 turbo 2.0. I'm a mechanic

Customer Question
Just bought a 2005 Saab...
Just bought a 2005 Saab 93 turbo 2.0. I'm a mechanic but never had much experience with turbos which I think it is. It just stared smoking though exhaust. Went to check oil and smoking though dipstick and oil filler heavily. Never seen that before. I have compression and radiation compression testers. Like to narrow down quickly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saab
7/28/2015
Saab Mechanic: Fix_It_Man, Other replied 2 years ago
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Other
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if it smokes more or less when the engine is warm?
It definitely smokes when cold but seems to smoke more when hot. Sitting at stoplight it smokes bad. It's my girlfriends car she just bought about month ago. This just started this morning and its pretty bad. I heard a sound yesterday that I thought was coming from turbo.
It looked white to me but had 2 people say it had a blueish color to the smoke
Pulled dipstick which was smoking and also the filler cap. White smoke pooring out of both hole when removed which I never seen before.
Thank you. From what you are describing it sounds like a piston or ring failure. The turbo can cause a lot of exhaust smoke and is the most common failure on this vehicle, but it should not come from the crankcase. Did you do a compression test yet?
I will do a compression test in morning and let you know. What should compress be? 90-130?
This happen instantly like something broke. It wasn't overheated either
Is this head and block aluminum? Or just the head?
From what you are saying it makes me leak towards the turbo, but the smoke and pressure in the crank case throws me off. This engine should have an aluminum head and iron block.
Ill check a couple things today. It's was smoking though the oil dipstip and filler after it was shut off and hot. The oil and antifreeze is clean just low on oil. I will pull oil filler off while its running and see if it smokes. Do a compression check. Have to wait till she gets home from work later today. If the turbo gos bad is it bad to run it for a few days?
If the smoke only came from the crankcase when it was turned off and not a ton of pressure while it was running then it is more than likely just the turbo. This typically will not damage anything after driving a little while, there will just be a lot of oil in the engine that will need to burn off.
It was the turbo. Bushings and turboprop destroid. And do allot of hunting found you can buy the center assembly with prop for $150. Save loads of money and it will be brand new. The used ones with over 100k they want $300 for?? Redic
I am glad you found the insert for it. That is much cheaper. After you replace it make sure you drain any oil from the inter cooler as it should be full of oil.
The intercooler is mounted behind the front bumper?
Yes. It cools the charged air from the turbo.
Do I have to remove the intercooler to drain it?
It would be best, ***** ***** absolutely necessary. You can pull the lower hose off and just drain as much as you can. Even jack up the car to where it leans in that direction.
Already took off and drained. The hosed on each side are halfway up so impossible to drain all out. All good. Rinsed with gasoline
If you can remove it I would or try and use a shop vacuum to suck out as much as possible. Anything remaining will end up getting into the engine and being burnt off over time.
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, Other