nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Saab 9-3 Aero: Mark, I am Catherine. I have a 2007 9-3 aero

Customer Question

Hi Mark, I am Catherine. I have a 2007 9-3 aero conv. I had my ignition coil replaced in March, the key wouldn't turn. It is happening again, does that seem normal?
Category: Saab
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to clarify details:
The key fob remote quit working and I couldn't start car. I had the ignition Module (CIM) replaced. That was within the past year. Earlier this year I had the ignition coil replaced, with labor, was $907.98. Now the key and fob aren't working again. Is this to be expected? I have had the car for exactly two years. I have always wanted a Saab, but this is a costly vehicle to maintain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had my incidents confused in the original question.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long should the ignition module reasonable last? How much should that type of repair cost on average? I also need windshield fluid pumps, but they said there are none available...is that accurate? I know it is out of production, but I have had an antiques vehicle that I have more luck getting parts for.
Expert:  nabilc replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.
I think you mean the ignition module, or ignition switch (as in the first thread you wrote ignition coil), and the ignition coil would cause problems, but not with the key turning or not.
It is a luxury vehicle, and indeed, expensive to maintain.
The ignition module is an electronic component, so there's no telling when it would or might fail. It should, however, last more than five years.
The labor for replacing the module would be around 0.5 hours of labor.
As for getting the parts, i always check on: car-part.com for used parts. And i always have luck getting the rarest parts at reasonable prices, so i suggest you check it out.
As for the key not turning, the original problem, there is a technical service bulletin released by Saab on this matter, which i will include so you get the details (i know this is not exactly your case, but it is relevant):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzWWVrQURIc3Rjd3c/view?usp=sharing
Regards,
Billy