peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Saab 95: 1month ago. key stuck in ignition. could never get

Customer Question

1month ago. key stuck in ignition. could never get the switch to come out, but Igot the key out. The shifter lever does have just a little slack in it. The linkage at the top of the transmission had broken from the shifting peg, somewhat. I did fix it, since.
3 wks ago. transmission rattle in park and neutral. check engine and check gearbox lights
car shifted and drove normally. just the noise in park and neutral
no signal lights. windows will not work.
1 week ago. car quit while idling in driveway. I was in the house, so I did not notice any funny noises.
car would not start. had to replace starter. never could get ignition out of barrel in console. Cleaned neutral switch (it was ok). No blown fuses
today. car started, but still noise in park and neutral (rattle from transmission).
drove around block. check engine and check gearbox light. car stuck in limphome high gear, from what Ive read. Pulled in to driveway and shut off. on restart attempt, starter will spin but not engage engine. same sound as park and neutral, but this time, when I move the shift lever just a little, the car wont start (just a starter spin).
p1624 and p0722
Ive read an exact case like mine on this site from 5 yrs ago. It is a distinct problem
my car= 1999 saab 9-5 v6 3.0 with auto transmission.
I'm not a novice and have worked on my own saabs off-and-on, but never had this issue.
If this is ignition switch related, etc. could you tell me what exactly is going on?
What is that rattle noise coming from the transmission? Why are signal lights and windows not working, either. (they will work when the ignition is only turned to on, however. When you turn the switch to start first, they will not) Seems this is all connected
Category: Saab
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This can be due to an internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail before in the past and had to replace it for this issue here.I would have this switch tested to see if it is causing all of the electrical faults here.
The noise may be due to a loose or broken transmission mount possibly as I have seen these break before and cause this issue.This should be inspected to see if this is the cause here or if any loose exhaust components are rattling around.
Thanks Pete