Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

Drained battery

Customer Question
drained battery
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Saab
a parasitic drain i have been to 3 shops one was saab. Hign shop is helping but i have to take it there and i cant afford to after trying to remove inside back cover problem us worse no light on battery new motor for rear window there is rust on door lock bottom
no light on radio is what i should have typed
i cant find door switches
Are you able to answer my question? Today when I drove my car it had to be just started with battery jump every,time I stopped for appointment
2 car guys said it is the radio
5/12/2015
Saab Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One common component to fail electronically and can drain the battery like this here is the radio itself.If a parasitic draw/drain test was not done properly to pinpoint the cause this needs done and needs done when the vehicle is acting up.If the repair facilities were not able to get the vehicle to act up to test this makes it difficult to pinpoint the fault.If you want I can post the parasitic draw/drain test here for you to follow or do to see if you can locate the fault just let me know if this is something you would like to do.
Thanks Pete
I would appreciate if you would post parasitic drain/draw test thanks Rosalie
You will need a multi meter to do this testing.
O.k.,what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.
Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).
Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.
After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.
If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.
From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.
Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know.
Thanks Pete
Thank Pete I will try this Rosalie
Pete I did find a drain 10 fuse. 86 module sensor battery shop took it out so car will start and battery won't drain
Thank you I will see if car starts in morning
Your welcome.Let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician