Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

Saab 900: It does not start most of the time.

It does not start most...
It does not start most of the time.
11/17/2013
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming that since the fuel pump and crank sensor have been replaced that it cranks but doesn't start when this happens?

Does the fuel pump run at the time it won't start? If the pump doesn't run then it may be a relay or wiring issue but it the ECM may not be awake either. If the pump doesn't run then turn the key on without cranking the engine and watch the check engine light. It should come on for a few seconds when the key is first turned on and then go out. If it doesn't do this the most likely the ECM isn't awake.

If the pump does run and engine light acts normally then odds are you are missing spark, which could be quite a few things including the ECM, ignition module, coil, cam sensor, a security issue, wiring, etc. Try seeing if it will run on some carb cleaner sprayed into the throttle body, if not then you're missing spark. If you're missing only spark then the first thing you'll want to do is check for fault codes. Most problems that will cause a loss of spark will set a fault code, which will need to be read as the starting point in diagnosis.

Hi and thanks for the response!

Just threw starter fluid on TB and it started right way and this has happened all the times I have been using star. fluid.

Check engine light as I remember does not goes off unles the engine has made full start.

Check engine light does not stays on to give me a code.

I checked yesterday with an Actron at advance auto parts and it said fire ok fuel system ok for the oxygen sensor it said 'inc' i do not know what it means.

What I found now when I was trying to put back on the rubber hose between TB an MAF engine stopped running .And I tried this more then once and the same thing.

I do not know if this helps or not?

Does it not start on it's own but always starts reliably with starting fluid?

Hi and thanks for the response!

I do not know if this helps or not?

I just try to start it now and it did not start.Checked the FP when cranking it worked.The check engine light went of also even the car did not started after 2-3 seconds of cranking.

No it starts sometimes on its own like nothing has happened .What I see looks like not first time but sec or third it may start.

When it doesn't start on it's own does it start with starting fluid?

It did started with SF after not starting on its own(1 attempt)

This is the only time you've used starting fluid then?

I used 2 other times and it ran just for couple sec.Today it kept running

Was the fuel pump not running at the times it wouldn't stay running with starting fluid?

I have to check it.

Let's check and see if the fuel pump isn't running during these times and go from there.

I just checked it w/o SF if I am not wrong I hear the pump running as fa as the key is cranking the engine it did not start.

And after using SF it started and kept running so the pump was working too.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? We need to check pressure with the pump running and check for bleedoff when it's not running.

It is a new pump(not all assembly).I do not have a gauge but if I buy where iIhave to atach it?

I made a whole under the back seat when I replaced the pump.

Was it just the pump motor and not the pump assembly that you replaced? If you didn't replace it as an assembly then the check valve didn't get replaced and could still be bleeding fuel back to the tank.

I don't believe there is a test port on the fuel rail, hooking up a pressure gauge would require removing the fuel line from the rail and installing an adapter between the line and rail. Some pressure gauge kits come with adapters for this.

Yes it was just the motor not all assembly.So if I buy a all assembly and install it this could help?

If the problem is fuel pressure bleedoff then yes, most likely replacing the pump assembly would take care of it. The other possibility would be one or more injectors leaking.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

I am going to order one assembly on ebay for $150 .On the store it was 399 plus tax and needs to be ordered.

I work in to 2 jobs M-F so I have time only next Saturday or Sunday to work in my car.

Your response was very fast and professionaly given.That why I am going to finish this sesion and if I need more help from just Answer I am going to check for you.

Sounds great. I hope that takes care of it, good luck!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician