Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

saab 9-3: I have a 2001 Saab 9-3. The passenger side high

I have a 2001 Saab...
I have a 2001 Saab 9-3. The passenger side high beam did not function (complete with SID warning that there was a headlight failure). I replaced both headlights, but the passenger side high beam still does not function.

The wiring seems to be in good shape. The fuses are good. Any ideas?
8/6/2013
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Greetings JACUSTOMER, your problem is a faulty headlamp filament monitor. This is very common and easy to replace. Open hood to access fuse/ relay panel on drivers side. Remove cover. You will see an ORANGE relay. This is the filament monitor. Just unplug and install a new one. I advise against using a "used" one since the solder joints are what fails internally causing unit to fail. New ones are plentiful online and cost approx $50-$65 USD. If I can assist further please let me know and I will be happy to help. Thank you, Jeffrey

Thanks Jeffrey. I may not have made myself clear
though, the high beam doesn't work - is that also a symptom of the filament monitor being bad, or just giving the message on the SID?

Hello David, The filament monitor is the reason the high beam is inoperative. It has been a thorn in Saabs side for years (when they were in business, that is) and continues to cause individual high and low beam inoperative issues. Sometimes if you take it out and re-insert it in the relay box it will work for a short time, but will always fail again. That was the reason I warned against buying a used one. The SID message is triggered by incorrect resistance readings between the left and right side lamp circuitry. If you have replaced bulbs, checked circuits and fuses , then this is the likely culprit. If I can assist further I will be happy to help. Thank you, Jeffrey
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Customer Satisfaction and an Excellent Rating are my #1 goals. I would also value having you as a regular customer. Anything else you need I am here to assist you

Let me know,
Jeff
jeffrey590
jeffrey590
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician