Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

Saab 9-3: I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 that has been steadily losing

I have a 2001 Saab...
I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 that has been steadily losing gas mileage. I usually get 23-24 mpg, but its down to 11.8 and I can't figure out why. I've replaced the O2 sensors, fuel filter, and spark plugs. Replaced the fuel pump not long ago. It also has a fault in the ABS module where all of my lights come on, i.e. ABS, TCS, E-Brake, Fault, but the brakes work fine. Any ideas?
8/6/2013
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the ABS,TCS,Brake lights coming on here this indicates the abs control unit has detected a fault and has set a fault code.What needs to be done for this is to have the fault codes read out with a scan tool or code reader that can communicate with this vehicles abs computer.There should be at least one fault code that has set for this issue here that will aid with the diagnosis for this fault.You can get the fault codes read out of this computer by most shops or a dealer as well as the diagnosis for this code and a local parts store might read out the fault code free of charge as I have seen before (but usually wont be able to do the diagnosis for the code).I have seen failing wheel speed sensors as most common to cause these lights to come on and set a fault code as well but it may be other components/sensors causing this as well or even an internal abs control unit failure causing this.This usually wont cause poor fuel mileage though.

Your vehicles engine computer uses a mass air flow sensor to read the amount of air flow into the engine.If this mass air flow sensor is reading incorrectly this will cause poor fuel mileage like this here and can be a common component to cause this.In some cases you can remove this sensor and clean it with mass air flow sensor cleaner to correct this which can be purchased from a local parts store.In other cases I have had to replace this sensor.From what you have described I would start with having this sensor cleaned to see if it corrects the poor fuel mileage on this vehicle here.This sensor is located in line with the air inlet tubing leading from the engine air filter box to the throttle body on the engine and has an electrical connector plugged into it.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician