How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jeffrey590 Your Own Question
jeffrey590, Master Saab Technician
Category: Saab
Satisfied Customers: 2847
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
Type Your Saab Question Here...
jeffrey590 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mechanic, lets call him Rich, has a scanner of course.

This answer was rated:

My mechanic, let's call him Rich, has a scanner of course. Is it possible that his would not be able to spot the problem you mentioned?
Or, does he absolutely need the Saab scanner?
Also, just to make sure, I drove the car again this morning, and I have good results when the engine acts up (again, foot on the brake, no gas, at a traffic light per example), by putting it in neutral every time. The revving eases up, and I switch it to drive, like a manual transmission car when the light turns, and accelerate gently. It is drivable that way..
I will the car with Rich again Tomorrow with your answer. I hope I do not have to take it to a Saab dealer. This was a inexpensive car I purchased for my son, and I hope it does not turn into a money pit.
Thanks for your help.
Greetings Fab,

The Tech2 will be the most accurate at narrowing it down since the software is from Saab and it has more capabilities. But Rich would be able to get in the ballpark if he has a top end commercial scanner (Modus, Snap On, etc.) Have him check data I previously supplied in earlier post and please relay them to me.I will be happy to diagnose for you and will dialogue with Rich if need be. Thank you, Jeffrey
jeffrey590 and other Saab Specialists are ready to help you