Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

Saab 9-5 SE Wagon: Steps to replace the coolant bypass valve

Steps to replace the coolant...
Steps to replace the coolant bypass valve on a 2000 Saab 9-5 SE Wagon 3.0 V6
7/29/2012
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Saab Mechanic

Hi,how are you?The turbo will need to be removed in order to do this job.

2000-2002 Model

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Loosen the expansion tank pressure cap.
  3. Raise the car and remove the lower front cover.
  4. Drain the coolant.
  5. Detach the coolant pipe from the turbocharger.
  6. Lower the car.
  7. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  8. For the turbocharger, remove or disconnect the following:
    NOTEKeep pipe seals and washers in a safe place.

Air hose between air collector casing and turbocharger intake pipe Tie securing main engine harnesses Tension from auxiliary drive belt tensioner Auxiliary drive belt from power steering pump and water pump pulleys Engine top cover Crankcase vent pipe from turbocharger inlet pipe and camshaft cover (bend aside)

Solenoid valve connector and hoses Engine lifting eye Bypass pipe with valve from turbocharger intake pipe Exhaust manifold heat shield Vent hose from T-connection Turbocharger intake pipe; plug openings in turbocharger
  9. Remove the power steering pump bolt on right side behind the belt pulley.
  10. Remove the upper power steering pump bolt.
  11. Lift up the pump and remove the lower bolt and 2 upper bolts on the bracket.
  12. Move the power steering pump and bracket aside and secure with a cable tie.
  13. Remove hose clips and detach hoses from water pump inlet.
  14. Detach the 2 longitudinal coolant pipes from cylinder block.
  15. Disconnect coolant pipes from water pump. Keep the O-rings and move pipes aside.
  16. Loosen water pump slightly.
  17. Detach the coolant pipe from the water pump. Retain the seals.
  18. Remove the 3 water pump bolts.
  19. Carefully wiggle the water pump away from its mounting and connecting piece in cylinder block.
  20. Remove the connecting piece from the cylinder block.

To install:

1. Clean the sealing surfaces and use a new gasket.
  2. Install or connect the following:

Connecting piece to cylinder block Coat seals with sealant Gleitmo 805 30-06 442. Water pump loosely to mounting Coolant pipe between water pump and turbocharger with new washers and seals Coolant pipe to water pump to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) 2 longitudinal pipes to water pump with new O-rings coated with non-acidic Vaseline 3 water pump bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) 2 longitudinal pipes to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm) Power steering pump and bracket, tightening bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) Hoses and clips on water pump inlet Turbocharger inlet pipe, but do not tighten (coat O-ring with non-acidic Vaseline) Engine lifting eye Solenoid valve and hoses Turbocharger intake pipe V-clamp Vent hose to T-connection Exhaust manifold heat shield Bypass pipe and valve, with new O-ring, to turbocharger inlet pipe Solenoid valve connector Crankcase ventilation pipe to turbocharger inlet pipe, with new copper seals, to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) Crankcase vent pipe to camshaft cover clip Throttle body cover Coolant line to turbocharger to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) from under the car Auxiliary drive belt in all pulleys Release tension from drive belt tensioner Main wiring harness secured with cable ties Air hose between air collector casing and turbocharger inlet pipe
  3. Refill the cooling system.
  4. Bleed the cooling system as follows:
    1. Ensure A/C is off.
    2. Fill system to MAX level. Fit pressure cap.
    3. Start engine and warm to normal operating temperature, varying engine speeds until cooling fan starts.
    4. Switch off engine and top coolant up to MAX, if necessary.

5. Check for any leaks.
I don't think you understood the question. The Coolant Bypass valve is on the Firewall toward drivers side just under main power distribution buss into cockpit. It controls water flow into the heater core.
Ok,no i understood you were asking about another part,my mistake i will try to locate the instructions for you and upload them,thank you.

It had a slow leak and has become progressively worse. It will be a few days before I have the replacement part. In the mean time can I minimize the the fluid loss by turning off the A/C, and possibly loosening the resevour filler cap to reduce pressure without affecting engine cooling.

I can drive about 12 miles loosing approximately 1 gallon before topping off in it's current state.

Yes you will lose less coolant by not running the a/c which will not run the engine as hard,i would not recommend loosening the reservoir .
OK, the retrofit looks fairly simple. 3 fluid hoses and one vacum hose on top. The current valve is held in place by a zip tie around another hose that runs horizantaly across the firewall. I'm guessing that was not the original mounting but seems to work just fine.
Yes it would be just disconnecting the hoses and the vacuum hoses and thats it,if it is zip tied the original mounting hardware would most likely be missing,however as long as you secure the new part back tightly it will be fine.
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Saab Mechanic
Thanks Mike! Have a great Sunday
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Saab Mechanic