Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Bulkhead crack on ny 10 year old 9.3..My local bodyshop..common fault…

Customer Question
I have been told that...
I have been told that I have Bulkhead crack on ny 10 year old 9.3 which requires a repair kit to be installed by a bodyshop. My local Bodyshop could not find the crack but suggested I tried to find out where this crack might manifest itself and what would be involved in undertaking the repair. I was told it is a common fault in this car.

Any help and an estimate of the cost of the repair kit would be appreciated.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Saab
3/8/2012
Saab Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons replied 6 years ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons
Hello

the bulkhead crack is the same as occurs on Vauxhalls as the steering rack is located on here and it copes poorly with the loads

the cracks appear around the steering rack mounts and at the outer edges of the panel where it tries to flex

the 'Kit' is a repair / reinforcement panel that gets welded over the top to help stiffen it all up - however any competant body shop should be able to make this up from flat sheet

I'd estimate 4-5 hours labour cost plus £150-200 in materials

if you aren't fussed about having it pretty and a good colour match then it could be cheaper than this

Would you have to remove the engine to fit the repair kit? Saab Hughes said this was a requirement and why it would be expensive.

Thank you

Hello

removing the engine is the official SAAB route but I know of garages who have done the job by removing the brake servo and other components in the area so it is possible to do without removing the engine
its worth getting a few quotes for this
350matt
350matt, Engineer - BEng Hons