Saab

Saab Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saab

Saab 93: car wont start..I get just clicks, the starter..Immobilizer

Customer Question
Have a Saab 93 Linear...
Have a Saab 93 Linear and the car won't start. When I turn the key in the ignition, I get just clicks, the starter is not turning over. One time though, I got an "Immobilizer Failure, Try again and call Saab Dealer" message. But I don't get it anymore, yet the car will not start. I tried jumper cables but it did not solve the problem. So, I think I've got it narrowed to the starter, or this immobilizer failure. How should I procede?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Saab
10/25/2010
Saab Mechanic: Tom, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Ok the most common problem is dead cells in the battery which causes low voltage and will cause this issue . How old is the battery ?
I don't have the car in front of me until about 3:30 or so. I'm at work and was going to have it towed to a repair shop...We bought the car about 1.5 years ago used and it now has 83000 or so on it. Is there an e-mail address that I can reach you at this afternoon?
Would need to add to this question . The other common issue is .Here's the issue with your car.The problem you describe is indicative of a faulty ISM (Ignition Switch Module).This is the module you insert the ignition transponder ("key") into on the console to start the vehicle.It is in actuality a control module that serves several functions: It senses the key transponder signal and allows the vehicle to crank and start providing the signal is correct , It unlocks the steering column lock during startup and driving (your error code) and it supplies keyed and accessory voltage feed to dash,instrumentation and interior components;as well as all other ECM and vehicle power signals.When these fail(quite frequently I might add)you get the steering column failure message as well as dash illumination and instrument failure.Was this checked ?If not this is the problem .Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
The dash lights and everything seem to work fine, in fact, when I turn the key to the on position the dash reads, Check OK! Someone online hinted that it could be just the battery is weakening, even though all the other elements in the care work (fan, lights, locks, etc.), if the battery has even one bad cell it will not start.
Yes if the cell is bad it will affect this . I would replace the battery next and if there is still an issue then have the ignition switch module checked next . These are the next steps. Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Tom
Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician