Saab

Saab problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My check engine light and my traction light came..My mechanic..hoses…

My check engine light and...
My check engine light and my traction light came on resulting in a very poor idle and a rough ride. My mechanic has replaced the oxygen censors and all of my hoses as they were a little tired. The car ran well for about 6 miles and then the 2 lights came on again and it ran poorly again. Eveytime I reset the computer by disconnecting the negative post on my battery it will correct for a few miles and then repeats the behaviour. Have you any thoughts? Is there such a thing as a Saab mechnic with the computer analysis equipment in B.C. anywhere or even Spokane Washington. I'm writing you from Nelson, B.C. Look forward to hearing from you, Sue
6/30/2010
wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome. with the check engine light coming on, there should be a trouble code stored in the system. do you know what codes where stored?
My mechanic has replaced two o2 sensors, the catylitic converter was checked, spark plugs, fuel filter, battery, all hoses vacuum? He said that he doesn't know what the codes were, but that the code that his consutant came up with showed that the air/fuel ratio was off. Hope this info helps ---Sue
Ok, if the air/fuel ratio was off, that would lead to a fuel trim issue. which fuel trim is the way the computer system measures whether the engine is running rich or lean. this is useful info, but we need to know, if the engine is rich or lean. this is where the trouble code is very helpful. most parts stores will scan for free. would there be a parts store in your area, that you get them to scan the system for you? if you get me the trouble code in the system, I am sure we get help in this problem.

My mechanic has suggested that he will plug it in tomorrow and that he should be able to retreive the codes, if the technician didn't keep a record---he can't reach him right now though, so is it possible that we can pick this up tomorrow when I can get these codes to you? How do I find you again if we pick this up tommorow? Sue

that would be great. all you have to do is log back in and post me the codes on this thread. I will keep this open. I will be on after 6 pm. don't worry if I am not on line, I will still get your reply. Looking forward from hearing from you!
Thank you for your patience, I will have more information later on today and will contact you as soon as.
Yaa, I have the codes now-- P1251 & P1260. I beleive that my mechanic put in after market o2 sensors. I wonder if the car is rejecting them? Just a thought. Talk to you soon I hope. Sue
Ok, sorry for the delay.not sure why the 02 sensors where replaced, both of these codes are related to the throttle body assembly. does the accell pedal seem to work ok? does the pedal seem hard or to easy to push? does it maybe feel like it has a catch in it?
wow, you're good! I told my mechanic the other day that I felt a shift in the feel of the accelerator and your description feels bang on.
Thank you,this is what I would do first. the throttle body builds up carbon between the throttle plate and the throttle body. this carbon restricts the movement of the throttle plate, which also causes a restriction of air at idle. clean out the throttle body real well with some throttle body cleaner or carb cleaner. real simple to do. use a rag and the cleaner and wipe out all the carbon from around the throttle plate and see what happens. if you where to pay somebody for this repair, it shouldn't cost more than $50.00
wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
I don't have any more questions right now, although will I be able to contact you again easily if this isn't the remedy and we still need to problem solve. I'm not being a negative nelly, but I'm not the best with computers so I'm afraid of losing contact? Sue

I will leave this post open, and yes, Please let me know if this doesn't correct your problems.

We do appreciate your questions!!!

We are not happy until you are happy!

Have a great week and let me know how things go with this.

cheers XXXXX XXXXX have agreat weekend! Sue
Will do!! Thanks again for using JA!!!
Hi Frank, Just wanted to share with you that it appears that we have found the issue--the spring on the throttle needed to be resprung. Go figure. Thanks for going there with me. All my best Sue
great news. glad you got the concern corrected and I hope all is well with your ride now!!!