RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Our Norcold N611 refrigerator suddenly works on LP but not…

Our Norcold N611 refrigerator...

Our Norcold N611 refrigerator suddenly works on LP but not an AC. When placed in the auto gas or electric mode refrigerator tries to ignite the gas burner but eventually gives a fault err. (We have the LP deliberately turned off for this test.) We checked the the110V outlet that the refrigerator is plugged into and when 110 power is provided and it does have the correct voltage at the outlet. Eventually, the yellow gas light blinks but the upper green light also flashes three times and then goes solid for a moment. I did find a blown 8 amp fuse on the control board that I replaced, the 5 amp fuse was ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2013 Lance 1885

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. See above comments

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

9/28/2022
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I have been working on RVs for 35 plus years. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be. May I get the first name of the person I am working with today?  I see you are having an issue with your fridge not working on electric.  The first thing to look at is your GFCI outlet in the bathroom or kitchen area.  The outlet that the fridge is plugged into is tied to it because it is exposed to outside elements.

DaveGFCI is good. In fact, all the wind 110v outlets work
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

Nice to meet you Dave.  Did you check the outlet on the back of the fridge?

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

Do you have a multimeter to measure voltage in a few places?

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

Ok, on the back of the fridge, there is a control board that has a 5 amp glass tube type fuse on it for the AC side to work. I would check for voltage on both sides of that fuse.  If you have voltage there, then the next place to check for voltage is on the leads for the heating element.  Look on page 48 at the top control board.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Norcold-Refrigerator-NXXXXX-Service-Manual-Publication-Number-619394E.pdf

What voltage should I be seeing? Am I checking DC or AC?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

You are checking for AC voltage.  You should see about 120vac.

voltage there
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

OK check for voltage at the heating element connection.

I don't think I have voltage there assuming I am checking the right points. Do the wires from this point go up into the refrigerator?
Hello?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

I am here, was doing something for my wife.  Take a picture of the back of your fridge control board.  I will draw on it and show you where to test.  Also we might need to perform an ohms test on the heating element itself.

Okay, thanks. As much as I would like to solve this, I'm in a have to cut it off for tonight. Do you know what the ohms reading should be for the heating element for this model?Sorry for the typo. "I am going to have to cut it off for tonight"
Thank you. That's where I tested.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

Did you test with the wires connected or disconnected?

Do you mean the AC heater wires?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

yes.  If the heating element is shorted out, it would cause you not to get a voltage reading.  The ohms is 48 for this unit.  It has a 300 watt heating element.  That is on page 7.

You mean with wires connected, correct?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

you will want to test ohms with the wires disconnected.

but I should be checking for voltage with the wires plugged in to the board, right? That seems like the obvious way to do it to me but definitely not that experienced. So just checking
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago
You will want to check for voltage with the wires plugged into the board and then without the wires plugged in,   If you get voltage on the pins on the board without the wires connected, then we know the problem is with the heating element.
UnderstoodI won't be able to go any further with this tonight. I'll have to check the rest tomorrow afternoon. It seems like it's heading towards a bad heating element.Since we also had a blown fuse. That kind of makes senseIs a common for heating elements to go out? It's an eight-year-old refrigerator
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

yes, they do go out occasionally.  They are exposed to outside elements and they can short out with the moisture in the air.

Okay, thanks. I'll pursue it further tomorrow. I think I can handle replacing the element if the reading confirms that.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

My pleasure.  I will be on line late tomorrow afternoon or evening if you have other questions.

Thank you! Good night
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

good night

KevinS121
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

Just checking back with you today to see how you are progressing.

Thanks for checking. Haven't gotten home yet.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 2 months ago

OK,  Let me know if you need help.  Be safe.