RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Why did my Furrion side-by-side not keep food cold while we…

Customer Question
Why did my Furrion...

Why did my Furrion side-by-side not keep food cold while we were on the road? Thanks Don

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2022 XLR Nitro

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XLR yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing the refrigerator is working fine now but we were surprised that our food was warm when we arrived… we started the refrigerator 24 hrs before we left but all of our food was either very melted or warm…

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

The headlights or on when we pull the rig… batteries are fully charged… and brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that i can think of…

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
8/12/2022
RV Mechanic: Seiler,Mike,,
 replied 1 month ago
Seiler,Mike,

Thanks for contacting Just Answer, I amCustomer and I will be assisting today. firstly, you cooled it down overnight, and had cold food in it but traveling the fridge got warm. Did you leave it on gas, or did you switch it to another source, or turn it off?  Another thin to check is the drain tube from the fridge, it comes out the back of the unit, behind the louvered door, and drains wat to the outside. There is supposed to be a plug in this hose with small holes in it to let out the water but keep bugs out. If that plug is gone, the fridge will warm up during travel as it sucks in warm air while you are driving

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how does the refrigerator change from electric to gas.. am i required to run the generator while we are driving in order to keep the fridge running?
RV Mechanic: Seiler,Mike,,
 replied 1 month ago
No, you do not need to run the generator, if you have the selector switch on the fridge set on auto, then the unit will be on electric until you unplug the unit, then it will switch to gas, as long as the bottles are turned on, LP,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do we automatic? is it on the fridge?
RV Mechanic: Seiler,Mike,,
 replied 1 month ago

It should be yes. The selector switch on the fridge, should be a slide switch or maybe a push button which will say on the digital read out what power source you are on. Do you happen to know the brand name, and model the fridge and I will look it up making sure I see what you see

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Furrion FCRB21ACASABG
RV Mechanic: Seiler,Mike,,
 replied 1 month ago
OK, the Furrion is a 12VDC or AC fridge, so it appears to not be operatable on LP gas after all. That means that it is operating on 12VDC while you are driving, which means I would check the battery voltage while plugged into the tow vehicle, running, to make sure that battery is being charged while you drive. If that shows good, I would then question the battery itself, and make sure if it is a wet el battery that the cells are full of water
RV Mechanic: Seiler,Mike,,
 replied 1 month ago
Have you had any luck