RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My freezers working but my refrigerator isn’t cooling. So…

Customer Question
My freezers working but...

My freezers working but my refrigerator isn’t cooling. So how do I remove the inside freezer panel to check for ice build up or blockage

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2020 Jayco Melbourne 24L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

I want to try to fix it myself, I read on line that if I should remove the inside panel to check for ice build up so I removed 4 hex head screws but the panel won’t come free.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No, just that freezer is working but the refrigerator isn’t cooling

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: RV
8/5/2022
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Glad you've come here and are willing to let us at Just Answer assist you. May I get the first name of the person I am helping?

What is the fridge model number?

The fins at the top rear of the fridge are not cool at all but the freezer is at zero degrees F or colder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My name is***** of model number
Frig fins are not cold but freezer isFrig is a two door Norcold
RV is a 2020 Jayco Melbourne 24LHello, still there?

Thanks for those details, Art, sorry you are experiencing this frustrating frdige issue.

Are you with the fridge right now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm traveling and would really like to try and resolve this issue

Open the door and look at the label. There should be a  model number there.

How long has the fridge been on to confirm no lower cooling?

Have you tried a defrost by shutting it off and opening the doors for 4 hours?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
N8XRT
On 120v for three hoursIt's been off for several weeks. Just got on the road todayI just want to know how to correctly remove the inside freezer panel so I can check for ice buildup

You cannot remove the panels in the freezer to gain access. You would have to remove the fridge to pull the complete cooling unit out the back.

3 hours may not be enough time if it is really hot outside. It normally takes 8+ hours for a fridge to get down to 35-45 degrees once the freezer has gotten lower than zero.

What tool are you using to check the temp in the fridge and freezer? What is the temperature outside and inside the camper?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Outside temp is 98°
Inside temp is 78°

What tool are you using to check the temp in the fridge and freezer? What is the temperature in the freezer floor, back wall, and side walls?

Are the fridge and freezer full or empty?

Hello again, since 12+ hours have passed with no response, I am going to try and provide an answer. I cannot be as accurate and thorough as I would like in my answer, so I will keep it short and sweet for now. Please respond when you can, with the information asked prior, so I can help better.

I believe the fridge has not ran long enough to fully cool, the thermistor in the fridge is faulty, or the fridge needs to be shut off and defrosted and dried out to remove condemnation and humidity.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed if not please press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know. Moose

It's been a while since you replied. I am going to mark your question complete for now. If more help was/is needed, please reply and let me know.