RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My hot water unit will not light. When i try and turn the…

Customer Question
My hot water unit...

My hot water unit will not light. When i try and turn the power on, the DSI doesn’t even light up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the DSI light blinking or flashing, or is it solid? When did you first notice it?

We had been gone for several hours. Someone accidentally turned the water pump on while leaving. We are parked full time at my farm. When we came back their was no hot water. When i turn

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

The hot water back on the dsi light does not come on and there is no clicking when the power tries to light the gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It isn’t a 2018 Riverside Mt. McKinley with an Atwood water heater.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
7/24/2022
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for contacting me for help with your RV issue. My name is ***** ***** I am not a "bot", but a real live person! I would be happy to assist you with your hot water heater issue. You are encouraged to respond back here with more detail or answers to any further questions I may ask, as that speeds things up and ensures this format will be successful in getting you the information and help you are looking for. I apologize for the delay in someone getting back to you on this question! Thank you for your patience!

May I have the first name of the person I am assisting here today, please?

Good morning, Dan! I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in the RV business nearly 20 years. I have been assisting customers like yourself on this site for over 13 years now and I answer about 10,000 questions a year. I know this tends to get technical, but I like to keep it relatable, if I can.

I used to have RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. I also use to teach this subject at the local JC. Please give me a few minutes to study your question and type up a response for you. Understanding your question is important to me and I fully understand the frustration that comes when something quits working at the worst possible time!

Please don't be an alarmed if I don't get right back to you after you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those usually last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and your trust in our reputation is appreciated and I look forward to helping your resolve this issue!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your water heater not coming on. I should be able to get this sorted out quickly and I will try my best not to make this sound too much like "rocket science", but please remind me about that if I do.

Randall

My DSI light doesn’t respond when In turn on my Atwood water heater. I had another issue several months ago where the hot water heater would not fire, but the DSI light DID come on. I replaced the circlet board at that time.

I am wondering if the battery(s) are dead from the pump running?  Do you have or can you get a small digital readout version multimeter for some testing like the one in the attached photo link?  About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use.  I can direct you in some testing.  I make it my usual practice here to offer my customers a link to the proper Service Manual for their appliance or system at no additional cost.  Lots of great information in there!  Please let me know if you would like to have that.  And check the water heater fuse in the load center panel first.

Randall

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

My camper is hooked up to electricity. We do not use a battery. I checked the fuse on the circuit board and it was good. Does the hot water heater also connect to the main circuit board in the camper. I opened it, but saw no mention of the connection involving the hot water heater.

You really need a battery in there.  Running things off just a converter is not a good idea.  There should be a fuse on the fuse block for the water heater.  Use a 12-volt test light or multimeter like the one in the photo link for testing and following the voltage to find out where you lost it.

Randall

My camper is plugged into an electrical cord from a box similar to a campground situation. It has been hooked up like that for over two years. My electrician bypassed the battery and removed it. I will check the main fuses to see if one is blown.

He shouldn't have done that.  Why would he think they installed one in this RV anyway?  Most electricians are not really well versed on RV 12-volt systems.  You can burn up the converter not having a battery, especially anything that uses a motor like the furnace or pump.  With a multimeter, you can check the converter output and that should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.

Randall

Even if the battery has been out for two years, you think I should hook up another one even though I'm hooked to a permanent electrical source?

Yes.  There is a good reason why they install a batter in all RVs as I explained earlier.

Randall

I think I understand. Everything was working fine, but someone accidentally turned on the water pump switch. The pump runs off the battery. When the water pump was switched on, it must have messed up the entire electrical grid. I'm going to add a battery in the next few hours to see if that takes care of my issue. I will keep you posted.

That works.

I hope this information has proved helpful and pointed you in the right direction. I am glad at least I was available to assist you with this problem today! Please feel free to get back to me again later, if you need additional assistance with this issue as we have no time limits on our questions where some follow up is needed in order to fully resolve the problem. I am most always around here every day between about 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. Pacific time.

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer in search of a good solution! I hope that the result was positive and that you will tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Please keep us in mind the next time you have an RV issue that needs some immediate attention. Much of our business here at Just Answer comes from repeat customers like yourself! You might keep in mind that we have dozens of other categories that are structured to address all kinds of problems. I have used several of those myself over the years with excellent results. Please be safe out there and have a great year! Next time you need some help with an RV problem, please ask for me again by name and it would be appreciated if you would tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Thanks!

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a "Favorite Expert" on your "My Questions" page. You will also have an opportunity to mark me as a "Favorite Expert" should you take a moment to rate the quality of my answer. Thanks again!

Randall

It seems like you were able to get this sorted out here.  Please be safe!