RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2021 coachmen leprechaun 260ds. I have it rented…

Customer Question
I have a 2021...

I have a 2021 coachmen leprechaun 260ds. I have it rented out to a renter right now. He is complaining that the fridge is beeping every 20 minutes with an E3 error code. This has happened several times before. But in the past, it has gone away when you turn off the Fridge power and turn it back on...he has tried that and it did not go away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

I am going to have him turn on the generator or start the engine and see if that helps. any other troubleshooting tips?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '21 RV?

I think its a bad battery...not getting enough juice to the fridge, perhaps? it is a coachmen leprechaun 260ds

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Are you a real person Steve? or an auto-response type thing?

Mechanic's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Mechanic more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

That is it. Thank you!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
7/13/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
Justin Cohen.

Hi Justin.

I am willing to bet this is a DC only new style Norcold? Is that correct.

Robert

Im fairly confident that it is.Its not propane powered or anything)I am not currently with it, so I can't troubleshoot myself

Yes, I have seen this code allot over the last couple weeks and they have all been for the same RV manufacturer. Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

Copy. Standing by. Thank u

So the E3 code is a low voltage condition. Have him run the generator for 20 mins and then start the engine for 20 mins and see if the code goes away, if so it could be low battery voltage if he is dry camping. IF the voltages are good and still have the E3 code then it is apparent to me there is a problem with the wiring on the fridge or the supply voltage to the fridge, again this code keeps coming up for many RV owners and this is a newer model that Norcold makes I would have a RV shop that does warranty work for Norcold take a look at this. You are in a very tough spot as not much the renter can do but try and run the engine and generator. I feel there is something bigger going on with this model and the E3 code but that would only make sense if the battery voltages are good.

Robert

Okay. Thank u for the detailed response.He is plugged in to shore power at a camp site. He is not dry camping. But i will pass this note on to him.Thank u!Also...

Yes make sure he unplugs from shore power before starting the generator or the engine.

Robert

Ahh. Thanks!Also...From what i am reading from your text here...sounds like maybe the fridge is still getting its power from the battery (and it shoukd be getting it from the shore power). And thats why it would be a wiring issue?So by running engine or genny, it will re-charge the battery perhaps?Is that sort of what you are thinking?

Yes the fridge always needs a DC supply of voltage and when plugged in that should be happening UNLESS the RV manufacturer has wired the 12 volt circuit to the fridge on the starting battery, so starting the engine would charge up the starting battery. Most likely there is another underlying problem going on with that E3 code, I am just waiting for the day to find out why so many of these fridges are getting this E3 code, very new fridge and not much information is out yet.

Robert