RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

New raptor 2nd time out and refrigerator won't come on. 2022…

Customer Question
New raptor 2nd time...

New raptor 2nd time out and refrigerator won't come on

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2022 Keystone raptor 413

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your RV?

1000 miles. Driven from ga to Louisiana

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Thanks

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
7/7/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
Damon

Hi Damon.

What is the make and model of the fridge? Should be a sticker inside the box.

Thanks, Robert

Haler, model number HRQ16N3BAGS

Got it.

Give me a few mins to look some info up on that model.

Robert

So this is a residential style fridge and needs AC voltage to work which means it gets power from the inverter. An inverter takes the battery voltage and makes the AC voltage, make sure your batteries have over 12.5 volts at the batteries. IF your battery voltage is good I would locate your inverter and check the outside of the inverter for a tripped breaker, most all inverters will have one or two breakers on them that can be small round buttons or switches. The inverter is normally outside near the batteries and should have a fan on it that you may hear when the RV is plugged into power or when the inverter is making the AC voltage. Very hard for me to know exact location of the inverter because this is a model RV I have not worked on yet. IF you have good DC battery voltage and the breakers are not tripped on the inverter or inside your main breaker panel I would have this looked at under warranty. being a 2022 you should have a full warranty and if you start pulling things apart you may void the warranty if the dealer catches on. I also might call your selling dealer and let them know what has happened as they may also be able to provide you some input.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

If we are at 11.5 on battery. What can we do to get it up to 12.5?We have a portable battery charger, but we are unsure why it would be so far down

You would need to plug into power and that should bring the voltage up, the inverter is going to shut down around 12.2 volts and the reason for that is to prevent the batteries from becoming discharged. So once the battery voltage comes back up the inverter should work.

IF you are plugged into power let me know.

An inverter pulls a good amount of amps when it is inverting and you are not plugged into power, you would need to manage the battery voltage if you are not plugged in. I am not a fan of residential style fridges as they use allot of amps off the inverter compared to the 12 volt propane fridges, if you have no way to charge the battery there is not much you can do. IF you are plugged into power then the inverter or power converter is not charging the batteries as the voltage should range between 12.5 and 14.5 DC volts.

Robert

I am plugged into power. I have been for 30 minutes to an hourWhen I plug up, I disconnect the battery by pulling out the red battery disconnect key

IF that is the case the battery voltage should be between 12.5 and 14.5 volts. Make sure if you have a battery disconnect switch it is turned on or the battery may not charge.

I would also look near the battery for a tripped DC breaker you may have a few DC breakers for various circuits, the breaker will have a cable and post on each side of the breaker and you should read the same voltage on each post to chassis ground, if only one side shows voltage then the breaker is suspect, again these would be on the cables near the battery.

The disconnect should be ON try putting the key back in and then see if the battery voltage starts to come up.

Robert

It is still going between 11.5 and 11.6. Would it help to turn the air conditioner off for awhileShould the battery disconnect switch be in the position of on or off?

What I would do is put in in the opposite direction it is in now and see if the battery voltage comes right up.

The AC unit should not be wired through the inverter circuit unless you have a new set up that uses lithium ion batteries, it can get complex.

DO you have the RV plugged direct into power? IF you are trying to plug the RV into a standard 110 house outlet it would be a huge problem.

Robert

We are plugged into a 50 amp. It is working fine because the air is on in two rooms.We have switched to the opposite position and nothing is changing

The AC units are not run through the inverter circuit if they did that your batteries would last about 5 mins with them running.

Sounds to me the charger is not charging the batteries up, I think at this point you may want to contact your dealer and see how they would like you to procced, you could have a power converter that does the charging and the inverter is only used to make the AC power. I can try and see if you have both but this unit is so new information may not be available yet. I will try and see if you have a power converter or the inverter does all the charging.

Robert

Not that this should matter, but I also have solar panels that are used to add charge to the battery. I think.

Yes the solar should help keep the batteries up, I just pulled a brochure for your model and it is lacking to say the least, it just gives the capacities and does not tell me if it has a power converter to go along with your inverter so my hands are tied. The only other idea I have for you is to unplug from power and see if anything changes using the generator, I would think after looking at this RV it will have a generator on it. The power converter needs good AC voltage to charge the battery and it may be possible you are missing a hot leg of the 120 volts coming in. I also want to see if any recalls are out as well, that is the best I can do for you.

Robert

I did not see any active recalls on the electrical system. I think the next step would be to contact the dealer and let them know what is going on. Another option would be to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area that can come have a look, you would probably have to pay out of pocket for a mobile RV tech as many do not get involved with the warranty.

Robert

I called about that earlier.What can you tell me about pumping gas from the toys tank to the generator tack, since the dealer put the gas in the wrong tank.There are buttons to turn pump on, but the on won't stay lit, only the off. So nothing is pumping

Sorry I really have no input for you on that. I do not want to mislead you and I have not worked on this model yet. IF you like I can step out of the question so other experts can respond. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts. I was really hoping the fridge issue was a tripped breaker on the inverter but this seems like something is going on with the charging circuit as the inverter is not going to supply AC voltage to the fridge. Low DC voltage may have a part in the fuel pump not working as well.

Robert

True. If someone else would know more about my unit, that would be great. Thanks for your responses

Understand. I will opt out of the question but if I think of anything else I can opt back in.

Have a great evening.

Robert

RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 2 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good evening! I am a Master Certified RV technician and have been in the RV business nearly 20 years. I have been assisting customers like yourself on this site for over 13 years now and I answer about 10,000 questions a year. I know this tends to get technical, but I like to keep it relatable, if I can.

I used to have RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. I also use to teach this subject at the local JC. Please give me a few minutes to study your question and type up a response for you. Understanding your question is important to me and I fully understand the frustration that comes when something quits working at the worst possible time!

Please don't be an alarmed if I don't get right back to you after you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those usually last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and your trust in our reputation is appreciated and I look forward to helping your resolve this issue!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your fridge continuing to run due to low battery voltage. I should be able to get this sorted out quickly and I will try my best not to make this sound too much like "rocket science", but please remind me about that if I do. Thanks!

Randall

I live off-grid and I have an extensive solar array and a dozen large solar batteries and so I know a good bit about solar installations.  I have also installed quite few solar systems on RVs before I sold my shop a few years ago.   There are several things I think you might want to check.  I don't recall seeing how many batteries that you have here, but I would hope you have at least four 6-volt Deep Cycle Marine batteries installed like most larger Class A coaches would have.  And have the batteries load tested to rule out any issues with them that might be part of the problem.  I didn't see the make and model of your charging system for them or the number of watts of solar panels that are installed.  You would want at least 400 watts and a 30-amp solar controller.  Then check that voltage out of the controller to the batteries and then determine what the actual battery charging voltage is out of the converter.  That should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts unless this is a Lithium system.  It didn't appear that it was.  I would also make sure that the inverter is large enough to handle the load(s) and that it is functioning properly.  These are the things to check.  Most can be done with a multimeter except the load testing of the batteries.  I hope this proves helpful here and points you in the right direction.  Please get back to me again with some of this information and I can add more as part of the follow up we offer to every customer.  Thanks!

Randall