RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Is season. First time out this season boondocking. My fridge…

Customer Question
Is season. First time...

Is season. First time out this season boondocking

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make, model, and year of your RV?

My fridge was working fine when I plugged in before we left. Cold

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your fridge or freezer?

2012 jayco feather uktra lite i put on propane worked for a bit tyen ‘n’ code appeared

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Im boondocking i have access to propane and limited generator time. Not an experienced camper; have limited tools too

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: RV
5/28/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
ChristinaNo

Hi Christina!

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your fridge.

Is the fridge turning ON? Is the display panel and interior light on?

What is the make and model of the fridge? Should be a sticker inside the box on the side wall.

Thanks, Robert

Light is on display

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

NorcolSerial No.
15225585N512ULModel noWhen I switched to propane I had a F code too

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response, once I start typing I can not respond back until I am done.

Robert

The F code is telling you it failed to light off.

The fridge always needs a good DC supply to work, if the battery voltage was dropping below 12 volts then the fridge may turn on but fail to light off, typically you would want to get a volt meter and check voltage at the battery.

Next I would go to the outside access for the fridge and remove the panel. Locate the vertical flue pipe, bottom of the pipe is a small metal protection cover, under the cover is the burner tube and electrode. The burner tube is slotted and sometimes bugs and debris can get into that tube, try and blow the tube out really good the best as you can, make sure the electrode is 3/16" over the burner tube. When you try and run it on gas you should see the electrode trying to spark the propane.

Since you do have this code it also could be a propane pressure problem, go to the propane tank and shut the supply valve on the tank and then slowly open it up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator may lock up and you may not get full line pressure, shut the valve, slowly open it up and then run a stove burner for several mins and then try the fridge again.

Once the fridge fires off give it a good 8 hours for the box to get cold.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Another question
Am I wasting gas rubbing a generator on a grudge that’s not working? My batteries are charged don’t need them juice got anything elserunning *fridge

The fridge should fire off on propane but needs good DC battery voltage, at times you may need to run the generator to bring the battery levels up, the fridge does not need AC power to turn on and work on propane. IF the DC battery voltage gets to low the fridge may still turn on but not fire off.

Robert

My panel says the batteries are fully chargedWhat is DC power vs AC powerPlease tell me exactly what should be onRight now the generator is running
Batteries fully charged
Propane tank openDo I need to hit the buttons on fridge a certain way?
I’ve read that if the buttons are pressed too many times the board needs to be reset.?!

I understand the batteries are full now I was just explaining the DC voltage and how it is required for the fridge.

I would cycle the main supply valve at the propane tank, shut it slowly open it up and then run a stove burner several mins and then try the fridge.

DC power is battery power, this would be the lights, fridge, furnace, water heater, water pump etc.

AC power would happen when you plug in or run your generator, the AC power would be the outlets. TV and microwave, some items such as the fridge and roof AC unit require both AC and DC power.

No on the board reset for this code you are getting, the F code means it failed to light off on propane. If you shut the fridge off and then back on the electrode should spark and if it fails to light the propane you get the F Code.

You may want to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area that can come to you, if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at you should get a listing of techs in the area. I used to do mobile RV repair and would cover a 100 mile radius.

Robert

What is the main supply valve?Ok ty

The supply valve that you up on the propane tank.

Robert

I’ll try turning propane on and off and running burnerGot itWhere are you located Robert?I’m on Long IslandWithin 100 miles radius?Is my fridge staying cold do food doesn’t spoil while I have the generator on w an n code?

I am in Oregon, if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip the RV is at you should get a listing of techs in your area.

Are you saying when you run the generator you have a N code?

Robert

Bummer you’re so farWhen generator is running I get n code

A N code means no cooling is being detected by the controls, this is the code that would require you to reset the circuit board under the outside access panel, lots of steps involved and you would pretty much jump a wire to ground to try and get the code to clear, if you would like to try this I can send you the procedure. Make sure the RV is level as well, sometimes for a blocked cooling unit you can get this code to come up and that can happen if the fridge is off level.

Robert

please send link

See link below, the circuit board is under the outside access panel and the cover comes off the board, you should see a single 16 pin connector as shown on the last page of the link. Some newer models have a 10 and 6 pin connector and not a 16 pin. IF you find you have the 10 and 6 pin connector let me know and I can send you the reset procedure for that style board.

Robert

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Norcold-Refrigerator-Resetting-the-NO-Cooling-Fault-Code-Service-Bulletin-120803B-120803-B.pdf