RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Where is the converter on a 2015 keystone mks 333 cougar. My…

Customer Question
Where is the converter...

Where is the converter on a 2015 keystone mks 333 cougar. My battery is not charging.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you start having trouble with the battery? Do you remember the last time the battery was replaced?

Brand new battery but I hooked it up backwards

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2015 MKS?

Not sure

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No that's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
5/23/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
Jeff

Hi Jeff.

Sorry to hear about the power converter, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Very hard question because each floor plan the converter location can change you may have a dozen Cougars any given year with different floor plans and nothing is ever in the same locations.

The power converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. IF yours is part of the main fuse/breaker panel you will normally see two or three fuses away from the others which is for the converter.

The other style is called a stand alone converter it is about the size of a shoe box and plugs into an outlet, can be in back of the breaker panel, under the fridge stove etc. Some Keystone 5th wheels it is in an outside compartment under where the fuse/breaker panel is located inside behind a panel. Both styles will have a fan on them and you may hear that fan running when you are plugged into power.

Also I would make sure you do not have a tripped DC breaker near the battery, sometimes they will install a DC breaker and that generally will be 18" from the battery and you may have a few for various circuits, below is a link of one style breaker, you would want to see the same voltage to ground on each side of the breaker, if only one side shows voltage then the breaker is the issue, many have a reset but some are thermal.

I will also take a look through my history on this site to see if I have helped anyone with  MKS 333, if I find more information I will pass it along.

Hope this helps some.

Robert

found it behind the fuse box. it blew the two 35 amp fuses. I only had 30 amp fuses to replace. how do I make sure it's working?

What is the make and model of the converter should be a sticker on it, I should be able to send you some troubleshooting but you will need a volt meter.

Robert

WFCO 55 amp power converter

Give me a few.

Robert

Thinking this is a 9855 model, below is a link for troubleshooting. Also I do want to point out when you diagnose an electrical problem the RV should be plugged in direct to power, if you are using an adapter going to a standard 110 house outlet it can cause issues.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Link.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/9800-Series-Manual-web.pdf

Thanks for your help. Should the fan in the converter be running all the time or just when it needs to? It's not on right now.

Some do run full time and others will cycle on and off. You might want to get an air nozzle and blow out the converter get all the dust and lint out of it.

Robert

good idea. thanks.

No problem at all!

Robert