RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The refrigerator stopped working this week. It is a Norcold…

The refrigerator stopped working this...
The refrigerator stopped working this week. It is a Norcold 1200LRIMSS.
There is power to the refrigerator and it on the face plate a code comes up as "no co" I checked the two small fuses on the circuit board and they look good. This unit will no kick in either shore power or LP. Any ideas on what to check next
5/21/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Go to the outside access panel and look for a small black box, on the box is a RED led light need to know if the light is ON, make sure the fridge is ON showing the code when checking the sensor box. 

Robert

I will check this on an hour or so because I have to put the heating elements back in and get electric power to the RV.

Understand, I will be around today until 9:30 am PST and then back this evening.

Robert

Thanks

No problem at all. IF I do not hear from you this am I will send you a response this evening.

Robert

ok Thanks

No problem at all.

Robert

Frig is on. code on frig panel is "no co" Outside I found the little black box with small red LED. The red light is NOT on.

OK

Just to be sure this is not a sensor issue you should have a blue and red wire, one is DC voltage in and one is DC voltage out of the sensor, remove the wires and connect them together and see if the fault goes away. IF not then the circuit board will have to be reset. If the code goes away bypassing the sensor then the sensor is suspect and will need to be replaced. IF you still have the same code with the sensor bypassed let me know and I will send you the reset procedure.

Robert

on the big circuit board I found a red and blue wire. I unplugged those and connected the together. now it does not appear I have power to the fridge.

I would need to see a photo of what is going. If you can plug the wires back into the circuit board and then bypass the SENSOR and see if the fault goes away. You can add photos into your response using the paper clip icon on the page.

OK

Hook everything back up the way it was so it is showing the NO CO code. below is a link for the reset. When you jump voltage to ground you should get a click from the board and the code should go away, if nothing happens then I suspect the board is the issue. When you hold the wire to ground hold it for about 30 seconds. You can probably skip many of the steps since the board cover is removed, read the directions over a few times first then try the reset.

Robert

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/reset.pdf

Ok. That got rid of the code. So now it appears the fridge is on and waiting for the heater things to heat up. I will keep you posted.

Good Job.

Give it about 8 hours and see if the box gets cold.

Have a great day!

Robert

Thanks

No problem at all!

Robert

Ok now the NO CO is gone the 2 heating tubes get hot but the refrigerator is not cooling. Nothing in the back gets warm like the grill and the fans are not running. Any more ideas?

Now run the fridge on propane for 8 hours and see what happens, have to run it on both sources for at least 8 hours.

As far as the fan it would be on the back side of the fridge up high, follow the wires from the fan and look for a small disc remove the wires and connect them together and see if the fan comes on if it does let the fridge run for 8 hours with the fans running.

IF you get no cooling on propane then the cooling unit sounds like the problem, a blocked cooling unit can cause the NO CO code to come up.

What you may also want to try is get a rubber mallet and tap the cooling unit tubes, these tubes zig zag on the back side of the fridge, sometimes tapping them can help get the ammonia solution going, make sure the fridge is level as well.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
ok. Turned on just LP and the burners fired up for a short period. Then quit and the NO CO came back up. I tried tapping the cooling coils and trying it again but the NO CO came back up.

So the cooling unit may be the issue, if the fridge is not getting cold at all and you are getting the NO CO code the cooling unit is suspect. IF you want to know 100% get an old lamp cord or extension cord and cut the female end off and wire nut the AC heating element to the cord and plug the fridge in. When you do this test make sure the fridge is turned OFF, what you are doing is supplying a direct heating source bypassing all the controls, the box should get very cold after a few hours.

IF the cooling unit failed it will cost over 1/2 of what a new fridge will, many owners opt for a new fridge when this happens.

I would keep an eye on the fridge when you do this test as you are bypassing any safeties, again this is your discretion if you want to try this.

Robert

Thanks for all your help.

No problem at all.

Thanks for being a great Just Answer repeat customer!

Enjoy the rest of you weekend!

Robert