RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The propane sensor alarm is going off, and red light

The propane sensor alarm...

The propane sensor alarm is going off, and red light blinking. Reset button silence alarm but flashing light stays on. Opening door light goes out but only for a short period after closing the door. Temp outside is 24 degrees

Mechanic's Assistant: How often does the alarm go off? When did you last replace the battery?

We just bought this Rv used. Don’t know when battery replaced or if there is one. Green carbon monoxide light stays green

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

2017 Redwood 5th wheel

5/21/2022
RV Mechanic: BillP310, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
BillP310
BillP310, RVIA Certification

Hi, I'm Bill an RV tech expert. I've worked in the RV industry for 30 years and have extensive experience in both the RV parts and service areas serving as a technician, service manager, and parts manager. I gained certification by both the RVDA/RVIA and the RV Technical Institute and was also certified as an expert technician my Monaco Coach. I retired from day to day work in November 2020 and am now able to pass along my knowledge to our guests here at Just Answer.

Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?

Please give me just a bit to review your question and provide an initial response. Thanks for using our service and I'll be back with you shortly.

Regards, Bill

My name Dick, was woken up to alarm and found the LP sensor light flashing and alarm going off, hit reset it came back in 4 minutes. Opened door to 24 degrees and light finally goes out but comes back on in 4 minutes and alarm goes off. Had door open for 10+minutes and all good now. Unit is hard wired into system and has no battery. 5 minutes have passed and has just gone off again. Heater is off, no propane on. RV is 5 years old, new to us.We are sitting in 18 inches of snowRan gas heater all day yesterday no problem.

Good morning Dick.  Thanks again for using our service..  I think you are dealing with a bad LP detector or some other substance is causing it to go off.  There are 3 things that cause these detectors to go off, lp fumes, low battery voltage, and usually some type of cleaner.  There are a few chemicals in various cleaning detergents and sprays that make these things go off.  If it is low voltage the unit will chirp periodically but not stay on continuously.  I would discount that as your furnace ran all night so the voltage must be fine.  If you have not cleaned the interior of the coach with something fairly strong and you never smell any propane at all then I would go ahead and replace the detector.  If you would like to attach a picture of it for me I'll be happy to locate some sources for you.  These things do fail and are designed to be replaced every few years anyway.

Let me know.

Thanks,  Bill

Thank you, ***** ***** open up the doors under the sink we do have a strong chemical smell so we will set cleaners in other part of the coach in the bathroom. Beings we bought this RV used and it is 5 years old we think we should replace the sensor unit. Here is a picture of it

Thanks for the update.  I'll research this for you now and be back in just a bit.  Hopefully moving those cleaners will take care of it in the meantime.

Thanks,  Bill

I am back with you.  I'll attach a couple of links for you.  Just click on them to be directed to the web pages.  I believe that exact model has been discontinued but I did locate a new one on Ebay.  The other link I'm attaching is for another brand of detector which is surface mounted and has a large enough footprint to cover your cutout.  Either of these should work for you.  Let me know how you make out.

Thanks,  Bill

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155003596853?epid=19050667666&hash=item2416ef3035:g:cnYAAOSw6K1f0msd

https://www.camperid.com/safe-t-alert/45-series-black-flush-mount-carbon-monoxide-propane-alarm-mpn-45-742-bl.html?view=354805&gclid=Cj0KCQjwm6KUBhC3ARIsACIwxBiJGns3WedSaWNZdeyPDP917qxgufBXOBZvFywMPDiGHQd1j6Sk8doaAg70EALw_wcB
Thank you for your help. We don't have a permanent address right now as we sold our house but we will figure out how to get one.

If you are on a planned trip you can usually use the campground office as a shipping address.  There are so many people living full time in RV's that many camp hosts are fine with packages coming to the office.  I would call ahead and check to see if you can set that up.  I'll mark your question as completed but I will still receive your updates if you have further questions about this issue.    If I can help you again please look me up.  Here's how to do that:

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a "Favorite Expert" on your "My Questions" page. You will also have an opportunity to mark me as a "Favorite Expert" should you take a moment to rate the quality of my answer. You can also just start your text with "for Billp310" and that will direct it to me. Thanks again and I'm glad I was able to help out.

Happy Camping!

Bill

BillP310
BillP310, RVIA Certification