RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Looking on buy a 2002 Georgia boy diesel pusher 37foot, just…

Looking on buy a...

Looking on buy a 2002 Georgia boy diesel pusher 37foot , just wondering what I should look out for on motor and trans? What else should I look out for? Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

Buying from a little dealer not sure on anything they have no paper work on it. They got it from an auction. They started it sounds great no smoking, it started right up.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '02 RV?

It is a 2002 Georgia boy cruise air xl/(###) ###-####html

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are just seeing what we should look out for when buying?

5/20/2022
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 2 months ago
BillP310

Hi, I'm Bill an RV tech expert. I've worked in the RV industry for 30 years and have extensive experience in both the RV parts and service areas serving as a technician, service manager, and parts manager. I gained certification by both the RVDA/RVIA and the RV Technical Institute and was also certified as an expert technician my Monaco Coach. I retired from day to day work in November 2020 and am now able to pass along my knowledge to our guests here at Just Answer.

Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?

Please give me just a bit to review your question and provide an initial response. Thanks for using our service and I'll be back with you shortly.

Regards, Bill

RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 2 months ago

Good morning,  thanks again for using our service.  I understand your concerns in shopping for a used coach without any ownership records.  Give me just a bit to work up a check list for you of the things that I would check if I were considering this purchase.  I'll be back with you shortly.

Thanks,  Bill

RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm back with you.  I was able to locate a thorough checklist that can be used to help in inspecting the RV.  I would take your time and run through this list.  Many of the items are cosmetic and will be obvious.  I would make some notes to help you in your price negotiations if there will be any.  In this year of coach I would expect that it is built on a Freightliner chassis most likely with a Cummins engine and Allison transmission though some models did use CAT engines.  These chassis are very heavy duty and reliable.  If you call Freightliner with the vin# ***** the the coach they should be able to provide you with the service history if it has ever been in to any of their locations.  They keep very good records.  As for the coach itself Georgie Boy was absorbed by Coachmen and is no longer in business as a stand alone company.  Here are the key things I would check.

1.  condition of the roof; check for any gouging or tears in the roof material, cracking of the roof seals around the vents and accessories and at sides, front, and rear.  Carefully check inside for any signs of leakage.  There will usually be some staining or wrinkling of the wall or ceiling materials if this has occurred.

2.  check the outside walls of the coach for de-lamination.  If leakage has occurred and water has gotten into the wall then the outside fiberglass will have a bubbly or wavy appearance and this is almost impossible to t repair.  You want exterior walls that are straight and smooth.

3.  check all the appliances for operation.  Have the dealer connect the coach to power and hook up water for you so you can run through everything.  Have them turn on the refrigerator so it can be tested.  RV refrigerators normally take 4-6 hours to cool down properly.  Put a thermometer in the fridge to check the temperature.  You need to make sure it cools down to around 36-42 degrees.  Much warmer that that could indicate a problem with the fridge and replacements are usually around 2K or higher.   Make sure both air conditioners cool.  If the coach has a generator,  run that while testing and that should give you enough power to test both.  If they have the coach plugged into a standard 110 volt 15 amp outlet that will not be enough power to properly run the a/c's.  Make sure the generator runs properly and produces power.  It may be diesel or propane powered.  If it is diesel then the coach fuel tank must be above 1/4 tank in order to run the generator.  If it is propane then the tank valve must be turned on.  This is another item than can be very expensive to repair.

4.  while connected to water check for any signs of leakage inside or outside the coach.  If you have any large leaks that could be sign that the coach has frozen at some time and this could be another expensive and/or time consuming repair.

4. look under the coach for oil leaks and those types of problems.  A little oil around the engine breather tube that usually points straight down from the engine is normal.  If it is dripping enough to puddle underneath that may be a problem and I would want to have the engine checked by a professional mechanic.  Start the coach and make sure the air pressure gauges are showing at least 110lbs of pressure or more when running.  Make sure the suspension air bags are filling up and the coach is sitting level while running.  Any leaning could indicate a suspension problem.

5.  check the tires; if there is any sidewall cracking they will need to be replaced.  Also check them for age.  There will be a 4 digit code on the sidewall near the rim of the tire indicating the age such as 1721.  This would indicate the tire was manufactured during the 17th week of 2021.  Most dealers I've worked for replaced tires that were 7 years or older as a safety precaution.  10 year old tires may look great but they can fail at any time without notice.

Those are the big things I would check.  You can usually tell if a coach has been taken care of by the interior condition.  If the upholstery is  clean and undamaged then someone has probably cared for the coach and their investment.  If if it dirty, frayed, or yellowed then not much care has been taken.  Yellowing of the ceiling and vent frames indicates that the coach has been smoked in and this is very difficult to fix.

I know this is a lot to take in.  Take your time checking the coach and don't let the dealer rush you.   I'm sure this is a big investment so you want to proceed with caution.

I hope this helps out.  Feel free to hit me with any questions you may have and you can post pictures here and I'll be happy to review them and give you my opinion.  I was able to locate a Georgie Boy owners manual.  This is not the model you are looking at but many of the interior features and operations should be similar.  I'll attach a link to that at the end of this, just click on it.

Thanks,  Bill

http://coachmenrv.com/OwnersManuals/14218574.pdf

Thank you very much for getting back to us.
RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 2 months ago

You're very welcome.  Let me know what you decide.

Thanks,  Bill

RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 2 months ago

Good morning.  Have you taken a closer look at the motorhome?  Let me know if I can still help.

Thanks,  Bill

RV Mechanic: BillP310,
 replied 2 months ago

Since I haven't heard from you for a couple days I'm going to complete this chat. Let me know if I can assist further. I will still receive any updates you choose to post and please start your questions with "for Billp310" if I can help you in the future. Thanks again for using our service. Bill

BillP310
Billp310 hi I was reaching out to you to ask some questions on the Georgia Boy we bought.