RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 1998 Class C jayco Eagle, been upgrading it. Have…

Customer Question
I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Class C jayco Eagle, been upgrading it . Have 1400 watts 48 Volt system, How do I or can I integrate it with the system al;ready there

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 1998 Eagle?

32k

Mechanic's Assistant: How often is the Eagle typically serviced?

It had engine tune up oilchange new tires, new brakes rotors etc. october 2021

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It is in good shape just wondering about integrating solar with the 12v system that is there

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: RV
5/12/2022
RV Mechanic: BillP310, RVIA Certification replied 4 months ago
BillP310
BillP310, RVIA Certification

Hi, I'm Bill an RV tech expert. I've worked in the RV industry for 30 years and have extensive experience in both the RV parts and service areas serving as a technician, service manager, and parts manager. I gained certification by both the RVDA/RVIA and the RV Technical Institute and was also certified as an expert technician my Monaco Coach. I retired from day to day work in November 2020 and am now able to pass along my knowledge to our guests here at Just Answer.

Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?

Please give me just a bit to review your question and provide an initial response. Thanks for using our service and I'll be back with you shortly.

Regards, Bill

Good morning.  Thanks again for using our service.  I can help you with your solar question.  Can you give me a little more info on the system you would like to integrate to your Jayco?  How many solar panels do you have and what type of solar controller are you using?  Are you currently using this system to feed a residence or battery bank?  Let me know and I'll try and help you with this.

Thanks,  Bill

Sent text I forgot about the app

Good morning.  I did not receive any text or information from you.  Can you post that here so I can help?

Thanks,  Bill

Sorry. I will send you that later today. I’m traveling now and service is rich and go right now.

Thanks for the update.  I'll watch for them.

Bill

Second T time I guess you’re not getting msg. I have 3 410 48 volt panels. Feed into a3000 growatt all in one inverter. Have two 24 volt in series it is operational. Getting 1300 watts.

Good morning.  I received your information that time.  I will do some research on my end and be back with you in just a bit with some options.

Thanks,  Bill

I'm back with you.  I believe a 48 volt to 12 volt converter installed between the 2 systems should work for you.  I'll attach a link below to a converter like I'm talking about.  There are other ways you may be able to accomplish this as well.  I'll attach a YouTube video I located dealing with your problem.   Check this out and let me know.

Thanks,  Bill

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/vicori481240110-victron-oriontr-dcdc-converter-48-vdc-to-12.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnm5gSFAW9k_NZG7Nod14V1hMCtAP8V7XJ1fLiQRZIvHb7aB_shX-LkaAlDnEALw_wcB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YQvQNAWch4

I am going to be leaving and offline for a few hours. I'll try and check back in with you later or first thing in the morning. Thanks, Bill

Ok will check trust out today.The growatt puts out 120 volt 50 hertz. I’ll check out videos get back. Rv has onan gen. Has dc dust panel how can out of you can hook all this up to existing rv electrical?

Good morning.  You would want to have that 48 to 12 volt converter between the solar controller 48 volt output and the RV batteries.  I would think you could tee the 48 volt output line and have one line running to the 48 volt power bank or inverter and the other line going to the 48 to 12 converter.  12 volt output from that converter to your coach batteries.  We always tie solar into the RV batteries and not the power panel.  DC power in a RV originates at the batteries and then runs to the power panel.  Thanks

Good morning. Any progress with this? Let me know if I can still help.

Thanks

Sorry been caught up in some other issues. Have to look at again but will get back to you. What you said I agree.

Good morning,  thanks for the update.  Let me know how you decide to proceed.

Good morning.  Did you wade into this any further yet?  Let me know if I can still help.

Thanks,  Bill

I have , I am now looking at upgrading the power inverter and charger, looked at a few, I want to switch to 300 ah lithium. Looked at some progressive dynamics charger inverters, would you suggest upgrading from 30 amp to higher amp? Would it be possible to connect that system to the 120 volt ac output from the growatt inverter that I have? the new inverter have a three way prong which sould connect with the growatt. Only problem is if the inverter on growatt would interfere with new inverter. Or could I just go with charger on the rv side let the the growatt supply the ac input to the new power center?
I got email that you responded to question, I cannot find a new response..

Good morning.  If you are going to upgrade your power inverter and converter you may want to consider a combo unit with the charger built in.  If you go with Progressive it appears you would have to change both units.  Depending on the inverter wattage you want the pricing could be similar.  Renogy has a couple of reasonably priced alternatives and there are others as well.  I'll attach a couple of links for you.  As for the tie in to your existing system I would leave the 2 systems separated except for the connections at the battery bank.  The solar system should be adequate to handle the battery charging duties while dry camping and then the inverter/charger would take over when shore power is available.  Power for everything in the coach except the a/c can still be supplied by the battery bank either way.  Here are the links.

https://renogy.com/1000w-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger/?gclid=CjwKCAjwyryUBhBSEiwAGN5OCMHrAigl8xv-A_mg9wHTq2o4V_HRGZhCnVT-2J0lUVeNoqXxe46lKRoCPCoQAvD_BwE

https://renogy.com/2000w-12v-pure-sine-wave-inverter-charger-w-lcd-display/?gclid=CjwKCAjwyryUBhBSEiwAGN5OCPpskU1M8UMXYjW1n-gL3aU80I8Zzldb-BG3fclh5A1_fHSjguqp6xoCCsIQAvD_BwE

What i was thinking the growatt supplies 120v ac has a 3000watt pure sine inverter, could it now power the converter/battery charger ?

Good morning.  Yes it could.   3000 watts should certainly be plenty to run a converter and now I do see your thinking.  This would enable you to keep the coach batteries charged without a direct solar tie in using this method.

I had bought panels and growatt, for off grid house, plans changed, so I hated not being able to use it. Just wanted to make sure first thanks

Good morning.  Since I think we have covered your initial question and I'm going to complete this chat.  Feel free to update me on your progress and let me know if I can help you with another question in the future.  Here's how to reach me:

If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a "Favorite Expert" on your "My Questions" page. You will also have an opportunity to mark me as a "Favorite Expert" should you take a moment to rate the quality of my answer. You can also just start your text with "forCustomer and that will direct it to me. Thanks again and I'm glad I was able to help out.

Happy Camping!    Bill

Pardon my typo.  That "and" did not belong in there.  Best of luck with your solar upgrade!