RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Lights dim and there is a constant chirping coming from the…

Lights dim and there...

Lights dim and there is a constant chirping coming from the box mm

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The interior lights on the ceiling

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2004 Wilderness travel trailer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

We did fix a groundcwire under the trailer and that helped for a bit

5/11/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
Darlene

Hi Darlene!

Sorry to hear you are having power problems.

Is the RV plugged into power? IF the RV is plugged into power are you using any extension cords or adapters on the main cord?

Thanks, Robert

plugged into a heavy duty extension cord

Are you adapting down plugging into a standard 110 house outlet?

Thanks, Robert

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response, lots to cover.

Robert

Thank you

This is probably going to be a power converter issue or the supply you are using.

When you diagnose an electrical problem you want the RV plugged in direct to power, cords and adapters can cause problems and when you adapt down and plug into a 110 house outlet you are really limited on the amps you have, if you exceed the 15/20 amps from the house outlet then the power converter will try and work extra hard to charge the batteries, if the converter can not keep up then the voltage may drop which can cause the lights to dim and the detector to go off. I highly recommend finding a place where you can plug in direct or you may be chasing your tail on this.

IF you plug in direct and have the same issue the power converter is very suspect. The power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage, you should have between 12.5 volts and 14.5 volts at the battery. You would need to locate the converter and check the DC output.

Very hard for me to know location of your converter as each floorplan is different and nothing is in the same spot. The converter will be part of the main fuse/breaker panel or stand alone and plug into an outlet. IF yours is part of the main fuse/breaker panel then you will see two fuses away from the others, they are for the converter. The other style converter is called a stand alone and plugs into an outlet, it will have two fuses on it. It will be about the size of a shoe box. This style converter can be about anywhere in the RV, under the fridge, stove, in back of the breaker panel, under the bed etc. Both styles have a fan on them and you may hear the fan cycling on and off when plugged into power. You should have 12.5 to 14.5 volts DC converter output. Again the converter needs good AC voltage to work and this is why I suggest plugging in direct to see what happens.

IF you want to check some things out and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Thank you so much. Just to clarify the camper wss plugged into a 30 amp outlet on an outside pole. We were using a large, heavy extension cord made specifically for that purpose.

That should be fine then if you are plugged into a 30 amp service. The issue can come up if you are trying to plug into a standard 110 house outlet. You will need to locate the converter and check the output with a volt meter.

Robert