RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1994 5th wheel. Fan blowing on heater but no ignition. Hydro…

Customer Question
1994 5th wheel....

1994 5th wheel. Fan blowing on heater but no ignition. Hydro flame heater

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Talking about the furnace

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '94 RV?

Jayco eagle series 255rk

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eagle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Cleaned all electrical connections, lubricated the squirrel cage and filled both 30lb propane tanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

It will work when it wants to. Very intermittent

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
4/15/2022
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 7 months ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I have been working on RVs for 35 plus years. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be. May I get the first name of the person I am working with today?  I see you are having an issue with your furnace not working.  Are you hearing any sparking at all from the ignitor board?  do you see any debris in the exhaust and intake tubes?

No all clear
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 7 months ago

you might try this.  and be very careful not to get shocked.  The ignitor wire is the large wire on the board coming from the round cylinder.  With a pair of insulated pliers remove the wire and hold it about a 1/8 to 1/4" from the spade connector and start the furnace.  Tell me if you get a spark.  This is similar to checking for a spark on a spark plug.

The fan blows and now the ac won't kick on either
All breakers and fuses are good
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 7 months ago

No spark, just the fan motor, is that correct?

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 7 months ago

Can you take a picture of your furnace and your thermostat please.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 7 months ago

Double check your breakers and make sure none of them are tripped for the A/C not working.  I always turn all of them off and then back on again.  I have seen many times where a breaker is tripped and it does not look like it is.  I have also seen a fuse look good but actually was blown.  That is why I always test with a multimeter instead of just looking at fuses.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 7 months ago

You might be having an issue with the sail switch not closing.  The sail switch is on the end of the squirrel cage.  If it does not close when the fan is blowing, then the ignitor board does not get the signal to turn on the gas and allow the ignitor to spark.

Try and turn the thermostat back to cool and see if the A/C tries to come on now.