RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My refrigerator will not cool. Set on auto it shows 60

Customer Question
My refrigerator will not...

My refrigerator will not cool. Set on auto it shows 60 degrees and hasn’t changed in a day. I don’t think it is working on LP either. It worked when I stored it last year

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2018 International Serenity

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I’m on the road. I have hung the thing back up on the right side of the refrigerator. It had come off and was apart. ThT is all I’ve tried except to turn it on and off

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2022
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I have been working on RVs for 35 plus years. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be. May I get the first name of the person I am working with today?  I see you are having an issue with your fridge not cooling.  do you still have a light on inside the fridge?

Billy
Light is on
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

Nice to meet you Billy.  Have you looked on the backside of the fridge at your coils?

I have it on LP right nowI don't know where the coils are
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

Ok, do you see the flame on the backside?  If you go on the outside of your trailer, there will be a vented door directly behind the fridge.  Take a coin and you can turn the catches and remove the door.  The coils are the black tubes that run side to side in a coil up to the top.  Check and if the coils are getting hot.

On an airstream?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

OK, on a Airstream, There will still be a metal vent door on the bottom that you open up.  If you will take a picture of what you are seeing,  I will draw on the pictures and point to where to test or look.

There is a door outside but I don't see any coils. If possible I would prefer it was on electricity
there is a flame
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

Are the coils hot or warm?

No
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

It is possible that the coils are stopped up.  I don't see any yellowish green powder anywhere, do you?

No, I'll go out and check againDoes this water dripping though a relief hose mean anything? I'm on the Gulf coast and it is really humid
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

No,  the dripping is not an issue here.  Lets try something.  Do you have a hammer or a piece of wood.  If so, you will want to tap on the tank and the coils.  You might hear a gurling noise.  By tapping on the coils, you will rattle the whole coil and possibly break up the clog.  The coil will start to get hot after about an hour or so.

I actually don't see a tank, I have tapped on the coil thing
I have a phone charger, where and what do I do?Is the tank and coil the same?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

Yes, the tank and coil are the same.

If you will follow the black cord on the bottom left side, it will plug into a regular outlet.  Plug your charger into it and see if it has power.

Cool! Yes it is working
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

That is good.  Is the coils getting warm?

No
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

It can take some time.  you can tap it again and do it pretty hard.

The next thing to check is whether or not the heating element labeled H.E. in the picture is getting hot.  Follow the 2 black wires up the side of the round tube, called the chimney.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

yes, those are the wires to the heating element.  You would need to turn off the gas and turn it to electric and see if it gets hot.  again use the back side of your hand to test.  If you touch it with your fingers and it is hot, you can flinch and grab onto it instead of releasing it.

They are not hot
Do you want me to turn the LP off?No
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

yes.  turn it to electric and check and see if they get hot in about 10 min.

K
The wires are slightly warm. Slightly
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

follow them up and there is a metal L shaped heater.  that should be getting pretty hot.

Yep
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

that is good.  that means the electric side is working.  Now we just need the coil to circulate.

The way this fridge works, is that it heats up ammonia in the coil and circulates through the coils.  It draws out the heat out of the inside and moves it to the outside and the air pushes the heat off the coils.

The coils aren't getting warm
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

If they do not start getting warm in about an hour, try tapping on it again.  If that does not work, you might have to replace the coil itself or buy a new fridge.

Damn
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 5 months ago

sorry for being the bearer of bad news.