RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have 2018 r pod 178. None or the electrical outlets are…

Customer Question
I have 2018 r...

I have 2018 r pod 178. None or the electrical outlets are working. We have power into the panel, and power coming thru the breaker, but no power to the outlets. Gfci will not reset without power. We have continuity from the breaker panel to the gfci on the ground only.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your RV?

R Pod 178. 2019

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your RV?

Maybe 1000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

That should be good

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
Brad

Hi Brad...

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the outlets.

Please allow me several mins to type a response, I need to wrap up with another RV owner and I will respond back.

Thanks, Robert

Sorry for the delay.

IF you have voltage out of the breaker then I would first look for another GFI that is hiding on you, normally they are in the galley and or bathroom areas but can be just about anywhere else including the outside of the RV. Make sure you are not missing one.

Next I would isolate the AC power and start checking each non working outlet, if you had a loose or melted wire at one outlet the others are going to stop working as they are tied together. Start near the breaker panel and work away from the panel, make sure you check any outlets on the outside of the RV.

IF all the outlets look good then it is going to be hard to know where the problem is at as it would be in the wiring and very hard to know how it is routed. In order to check continuity you would need to know the first outlet the wires are going from the breaker panel and then ohm them from the breaker to that first outlet, each wire should have continuity. Then you would go from that outlet to the next one in the circuit and so on. This is where a diagram would help, your RV manufacturer does not publish them online so very hard to know where the wires run.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

There appears to be only one GFCI outlet and it has 5 regular outlets downstream.
There is no power to the GFCI, but the ground rings continuity. Will keepchecking.

Another idea would be to get a polarity checker and plug it into the non working outlets, this will tell you if you actually have a wiring issue most places like Home Depot sell them for a few dollars. Again go to the first outlet the breaker is feeding and check continuity if you do not have continuity then the wiring has to be compromised between the outlet and panel.

IF you have an inverter it could be wired into the outlet circuit as well, I doubt on this model it has one unless it was an option. An inverter allows you to have AC power when you are not plugged into power.

Robert

Can you call me(###) ###-####

Sorry the company Just Answer charges for calls and not sure how more I can share with you on a call. I can still help you in this format as needed.

Robert

Will a bad inverter interrupt 120 voltage to the outlets.I'm a licensed electrician. Don't deal much with low voltage systems.

Yes it can, most inverters will have a breaker on them, can be a small round button or switch. Not all RV's have inverters, an inverter allow you to have AC power when you are NOT plugged into power. IT takes the DC battery voltage and makes the AC voltage. Some manufacturers will wire one in with the outlet circuit so you can have outlets while dry camping. Hard for me to know if it has one it may also have a power converter which takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage when plugged into power. A power converter would not cause this issue an inverter might.

Robert

I sent a pic, did you get it?

I think the key here is you have 120 volts in and out of the breaker for outlets, if that is the case and you do not have a bad connection at one of the outlets then it sounds like it is in the wiring, hard to know if they are using any junction boxes in the circuit.

That is a power converter not inverter, I looked specs up and it looks like a 55 amp converter is used and I did not see any options for a converter.

Robert

one. Checked 3 other outlets from breaker to outlet, continuity on ground only.supply house and tested good. We bypassed the GFCI and no power. Nothing seems burned or damaged.
I kept thinking there was another gfci in line---can't findWe didn't see any junction boxes anywhere. There are three 14-2 rom ex run into the gfci and we only have continuity on the ground. The GFCI was tested at the
You have to go from point A (starting point) to point B (very first area) the wire is going when you check continuity. You can not go from the breaker panel to a random outlet, you have to find the first outlet the wires are going to from the breaker then ohm the wires out, if you have no continuity then the problem is between that first run of wire. IF you have continuity then you have to go from the first outlet to the second outlet and so on.

Also so you know a RV uses 110 volt and not 220 if 220 volts came into the RV it would cause issues. A 30 amp is one hot leg of 110 coming into the RV not 220. I understand you are an electrician but have seen some electricians think the RV is a 220 volt system and it is not.

Robert

than the ground. Got a break somewhere.We've been going from outlet to outlet and we have continuity. We just don't have continuity from the hot wire in the breaker box to any of the outlets otherWould the converter interrupt that continuity?Does the RV reduce the 120 volts coming from the pedestal to 110? I got 120 at the pedestal.

I doubt the converter would be the problem, no it is 120 I call it 110 as well sorry for that confusion.

Typically when you diagnose an electrical problem you want the RV plugged into power direct, no cords or adapters reducing down to a 120 house outlet may cause problems, the longer the run from the RV to the supply the greater the problem you can have line loss. IF that was the case an cords used may heat up.

The converter does use 120 volts to make the DC voltage, some converters do plug into an outlet, they are called stand alone converters. If the converter failed then it would not charge the battery and you would have low DC voltage inside, that would be the lights, furnace, fridge etc. So if you have between 12.5 volts and 14.5 volts at the battery the converter is working properly.

Robert

Okay, we're going to do the shotgun approach and take all 5 outlets out and check continuity. I'm going to replace the GFCI just for fun and we'll check theconverter for output.
Thanks so much for your time and help.
You are very knowledgeable in your line of work!

Thanks.

Glad I could help some.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Thanks for coming to Just Answer to ask your RV question.

Robert