RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

1997 Fleet Bounder F-53 My furnace turns on and the fan

1997 Fleet wood Bounder F-53My...
1997 Fleet wood Bounder F-53My furnace turns on and the fan makes a weird noise and I’m getting cold air through the vents? Please help.
3/5/2022
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I have been working on RVs for 35 plus years. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be. May I get the first name of the person I am working with today?  I see you are having some issues with your furnace.  I am seeing signs of mud daubers in your furnace.  There could be a nest on the blades of your fan causing it to be out of ballance.

Are you getting a squealing noise from the fan.  If the fan is not turning fast enough, the sail switch will not close and send signal to the ignitor board which sparks and lights the burners inside.  It is also possible that the mud daubers have built a nest inside the burn chamber .  Use a flashlight and look inside the exhaust tube and if you see mud inside, do not try to run your furnace until it gets cleaned out.  The nest inside the burner can cause an improper gas air mixture and you could have an internal explosion that can crack the burner chamber.  Then you have the possibility of a CO2 leak inside your RV.

I am getting a squealing noise from the fan.I’m Wally, by the way.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

Nice to meet you Wally.

The fan motor bearings could be going out and you will need to replace the motor.

Here is a service manual for your furnace.  It has sequence of events that the furnace goes through to produce heat.  There are also some wing diagrams and procedures for removing the furnace and the fan motor.

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Suburban-Service-Manual.pdf

Can you send me a link to a specific fan for it? Thanks
Thank you you are the best should I replace for both furnace? Because none are heating up.Looks simple to replace.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

If both motors are giving you problems, yes.  I would also check for mud daubers in both furnaces.  Then you can use a multimeter to measure your voltage test the other components of your furnace.  Cleaning them out will go a long way to make them last.

To clean them out real good, I break it down to the burner chamber and the wash it out with water.  You will have to rotate it over and turn it from side to side to get all the nests out.  Be careful with the gaskets or you might need to order a gasket kit for them if they are still available.

Thanks again
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

My pleasure.  Glad I could help. I appreciate good ratings for my service today and please ask for me in the future if you have other RV issues. If you are not satisfied with my service today, please let me know so I can do better next time. There are also other experts available to help you as well. Thanks for using Just Answer and have a great day.

Happy RVing

***** *****

Customer/p>

KevinS121
I got it on but I’m getting a wired smell inside nowI pushed the sail switch with my finger and furnace turned on
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

Did you look in the furnace exhaust for any signs of mud daubers?

Does not look like any mud inside
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

Are you getting an electrical wire smell or a weird smell inside?

It’s a weird smell
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

Does smell like propane or something else that might be burning inside the furnace?

I think like propane
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago

I would recommend pulling it apart and cleaning the furnace real well.  When you wash out the burn chamber, look for any leaks in the burn chamber.  That is the only way you will get a propane smell inside.  The burn chamber is sealed from the interior and only the air crossing over it is forced into the duct work.

The sail switch keeps going down unless I manually push up
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 6 months ago
that means the fan is not blowing fast enough or the sail portion is missing.  The air is suppose to push the sail switch closed.  It should have a little flag on the end of it.