RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I’m having electrical problems. 3 outlets in the bedroom are…

I’m having electrical problems...

I’m having electrical problems. 3 outlets in the bedroom are not working, also water heater and refrigerator are apparently not getting correct amount of power. Any ideas ? I just checked both ends of the power chord outside

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

The thermostat is giving an E7 error

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2005 doubletree mobile suite

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I’ve just checked both ends of the 50amp power chord

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I think that’s about it, thank you for your help

3/4/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?
Scott

Hi Scott.... Sorry to hear you are having electrical problems.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

So the E7 code is a loss of 120 volt power to the AC unit and this makes some sense if you do not have some outlets working. The water heater and fridge need DC power to turn on and work that would be if the fridge works on propane and is not a residential style. The power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. You should have over 13 volts DC at the battery.

A 50 amp service is two hot legs of 120 volts coming into the RV not 240 direct, sometimes owners can plug into a welder or dryer outlet and that would cause major issue. I would strongly suggest plugging into another power source to make sure the supply is not the problem or you could be chasing your tail.

IF plugging into another source does solve the problem go around the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset on them, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley areas but can be about anywhere else.

IF you do not have a generator built into the RV or it is not prepped for one then the main cord comes direct to the breaker panel, if you have a generator installed or it is prepped for one then the AC power passes through a transfer switch and it is possible you are missing a leg of the 120 volt at the transfer switch.

Also if you have not done so shut the breakers off inside the RV, unplug from power and shut the supply breaker off then plug back in, turn the supply breaker back and then the breakers on inside the RV.

If all the above is good then I might consider a mobile RV tech or shop have a look at this for you.

Robert

I have a surge protector hooked up outside.it is indicating that I have a missing L1 120v ? Does that mean I'm missing 1 leg of 120v?

YES if you have some AC power inside but not all of it then you are missing a leg and I would try another power source. Good catch.

Robert

I'm in a RV park, I don't have another place to plug in. I guess I should call the park maintenance to fix the problem?

Yes they need to take a look it as the surge guard is telling you are missing that leg coming into the RV. IF you are using an adapter plugging into a 30 amp service you would only get one hot leg if the RV is setup for 50 amp.

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic