RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

It will work with gas, but not with electricity. It always…

Customer Question
It will work with...

It will work with gas, but not with electricity. It always switches to NG even when electrical is hooked up

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your HVAC unit? How old is it?

Norcold N621. About 2005

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your Norcold unit? What have you tried so far?

It just started. Don’t know what to do. It won’t switch to electric and selects NG from the bottle

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the HVAC Tech should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I don’t know what else to answer

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: RV
Is someone going to reply?
2/26/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Norcold N621, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

Vic

HI, Vic, sorry for the delay, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

So the fridge turns on with DC power not AC power. This means if the outlet the fridge is plugged into does not have voltage the fridge is still going to turn on but not work on AC power. The outlet should be under the outside access panel for the fridge. What I might do to eliminate any wiring issues on the RV side is get an extension cord and plug the fridge into an outside power source and see if the fridge works on electric. IF the fridge still does not work on electric unplug the cord from the outlet and remove the cover on the circuit board, the circuit board is under the outside access and on the board are some fuses, one for the DC side or what allow the fridge to turn on and the other fuse is for the AC side or what allows it to work on electric, if the AC fuse is blown then the fridge will default to propane. IF the fuse is not blown and you have a good AC power source the fridge is plugged into then I suspect the board is bad, part of the board is a relay that senses the AC power.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

It doesn't turn on with DC power eitherThe panel on the fridge always selects NG

Really need to verify that code, see link below for a service manual and see page 9. I am not seeing a G fault.

Robert

http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Norcold-Refrigerator-NXXXXX-Service-Manual-Publication-Number-619394E.pdf

With the symptoms you provided with it working on gas but not electric I would check everything I suggested the only other item would be the actual AC heating element, that can be ohmed out and the directions are on page 18 of the manual link I sent.

Robert

NG is natural gasIt never selects power or auto. It switches to natural gasEven when you manually select power

Yes if it is defaulting to gas check the outlet the fridge is plugged into, check the fuse on the board and if they are good I suspect the board is bad.

Robert

Thanks

No problem at all.

Thank for coming to Just Answer to ask your question today.

Have a great weekend.

Robert

You have a great one too

Thanks!

Robert