RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

The electric readout which usually reads 12/13 volts has…

The electric readout which...

The electric readout which usually reads 12/13 volts has been beeping and has a error readout of E03. All 110v power goes dead. The rv repair shop has replaced the transfer switch and inverter but it still does it. It does it on shore power as well as the generator. Anywhere you can lead me to track down the problem. My unit is a 2017 Georgetown 36B

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?

I believe I have about 15k miles. I do not have a code reader. If a code reader will lead me to the problem I'll go buy one.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '17 RV?

Georgetown 36B

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

No mam the rv repair shop has tried fixing it. I figured they have replaced everything they can think of so I will research it and fix it myself if I can. The shop has replaced the transfer switch and invertor. The batteries are 6 months old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No mam I think I covered it. Thank you for your help.

2/24/2022
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 7 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your RV issue. My name is***** would be happy to assist you with your fridge error code question. May I ask who am I speaking with here today please?

Richard Correll

Good morning, Richard! I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in the RV business nearly 20 years. I have been assisting customers like yourself on this site for over 12 years now and I answer about 10,000 questions a year. I know this tends to get technical, but I like to keep it relatable, if I can.

I used to have RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. I also use to teach this subject at the local JC. Please give me a few minutes to study your question and type up a response for you. Understanding your question is important to me and I fully understand the frustration that comes when something quits working at the worst possible time!

Please don't be an alarmed if I don't get right back to you after you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those usually last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and your trust in our reputation is appreciated and I look forward to helping your resolve this issue!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your fridge error codes. I should be able to get this sorted out quickly and I will try my best not to make this sound like "rocket science", but please remind me about that if I do. Thanks! Randall

No problem. It is ok about the rocket science concern I am very mechanically inclined.

Did they do any testing at all to determine the problem or are they just throwing parts at this and hope they get it solved?  May I have the make and model of your fridge please?  And this is most easily solved using a small digital readout multimeter like the one in the attached photo link.  About $20 or so at most local hardware stores and easy to use.  I can direct you in some testing.  The charging device should be putting out between 13.6 and 14.4 volts to the batteries.  And I would have the batteries load tested to be sure that they are viable and not failing.  Most places that sell batteries can do this for you.  Just be sure that if you remove them for testing, that you mark the cables carefully first and take a photo of the hook-ups so you are sure to get them back in again correctly.  Easy to get this wrong if you don't!  Start there.

Randall

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Ff4DNNY7/c40495a6-bec8-4129-895c-31c7367c3a09.jpeg

Or is this an inverter error code?  Several appliances use an "E-03" error message.  If this is an inverter error, then please include the make and model of this as well.

Randall

Even brand new batteries fail a lot more often than most people would think.  In the shop we load test those even if they are a few days old.

Randall

Is it possible to confirm or rule out the fridge if I unplug it?

If this happens to be an Eaton inverter, then be sure that all the settings are correct.  This is a fairly complex unit and there are a number of settings that need to be taken into account depending on what is hooked up.  One of those is the shutdown voltage.  Once you have the batteries load tested so those can be ruled out as a proximate cause, then you can check the output of that Progressive Dynamics converter to be sure that is in the correct charging range.  See the Charge Wizzard to be on regular charging and not plus or minus anything.  It has 3 choices there for that.

Randall

I am still not sure if the error code is for the fridge or a converter?

I unplugged the fridge and it still shuts down.

Is it the inverter that shuts down or the fridge?

This will go a lot faster if you can give me the information that I asked for here.  Thanks!

Randall

The fridge starts beeping and then the readout starts beeping.
That is an E03 readout with the buzzer sounding g and the fridge unplugged on shore power.

Thank you!  Do you have the User's Manual for that inverter or not?

Randall

I gave you the make and model of the fridge and a photo of the inverter. It shows up on the thread in my phone isn't it on yours?The fridge is a NorCold Model 2118 and the inverter is a
Intella Power 9200, Model PD9270

I got them finally!  Thanks.  I am adding a link to the User's Manual for this inverter in case you don't have it.  What else besides the fridge is hooked up to this?  Or is the fridge the only thing using power out of this unit?

Randall

https://www.xantrex.com/documents/Power-Inverters/Freedom%20Xi/Freedom%20XI%20Inverter%201000-2000%20Owners%20Guide%20(975-0754-01-01_Rev-A).pdf

The Progressive Dynamics unit is a "Converter" and puts out voltage to battery charging.  The Xantrex unit is an "Inverter" and takes 12-volts and turns it into 120-volts.  They work just the opposite.

Randall

My understanding is the inverter runs the whole rv electric such as both ac's, tv's, fridge, microwave, electrical outlets, basically anything 110v as well as keeping the house batteries chargedWhere would the inverter be possibly located then?

If it does, then it is not hard to see why it is constantly giving you an "E-03" error.  Is this a "1000 watt" or a "2000 watt" model?  It does NOT charge the batteries.  You need to add up the loads of what you are running off of this when you have no shore power available and make sure that you are not overloading it by trying to use more watts than it can produce.  The A/C on a hot day can do that all by itself.  Most appliances have their power use in watts on them someplace.  I think that is what is going on here.  I suspect you didn't need all those other parts replaced.  I hope this proves helpful here.

Randall

If you take a look at the one in the manual, you can see how large it is.  Most are not far from the batteries.

Randall

OK be right back

No hurry.  I am around all day.

I found a bow under the sink inside a cabinet that all I can see is a Freedom Sine Wave. Could that be it?Dad gum auto correct. Lol. I meant to say some sort of electrical box.

Yes, that is it.  Which model is it?  It should say on the data tag on there.

All I can see at the moment is a Xantrex, Freedom XI Sein Wave. I am trying to get to it.

O.K.

I don't think the inverter is the problem.  Just too much power being used.  It would be very helpful to know which version this is?  1000 or 2000 watt?

Ra

I put a mirror and light all the way around it and do not see a number. Why would it start all of a sudden awhile back and run fine from 2018 til summer of 2021? It was used constantly.Shouldn't be too much electrical deal. I have everything shut off?Draw

It might be the inverter and that can be sent in for testing and repairs.  Contact Xantrex about that.

Randall

If it won't reset, then it will need some repairs I suspect.

Randall

Suppose it is both models. Wouldn't we look in the same place for the problem?

There is a huge difference in using more than 1000 watts as opposed to 2000 watts.

I just found it. It is a 2000 and the reset button has not been tripped.

That is better.  See if you can get that to reset.

Randall

I tried to push the button in and it wouldn't go. It doesn't feel like it is tripped

Disconnect it from power for 5 minutes and then hook it back up again.  Do this at the batteries.

Randall

Can I use my main battery disconnect button for the coach?

Yes, so long as the converter is turned off as well.

I shut the electrical off at the main disconnect switch as well as manually tripping the 3 big breakers comming off the battery fuse box
I started it back up and in about 50 seconds it started again

It would seem it needs some repair.  I would give Xantrex a call at their Customer Service number and ask them for some advice on how to proceed.

Randall

Appreciate it. Thank you for walking me through it all. Hope you have a great day!

You are most welcome, Richard.  Glad I could help out.  Please report back on what this turns out to be here, please.  Have a great day!

Randall

I hope this information proved helpful and pointed you in the right direction. I am glad I was available to assist you with this problem today! Please feel free to get back to me again later, if you need additional assistance with this issue as we have no time limits on our questions where some follow up is needed in order to fully resolve the problem. I am most always around here every day between about 5 a.m. and 10 p.m. Pacific time.

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer in search of a good solution! I hope that the result was positive and that you will tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Please keep us in mind the next time you have an RV issue that needs some immediate attention. Much of our business here at Just Answer comes from repeat customers like yourself! You might keep in mind that we have dozens of other categories that are structured to address all kinds of problems. I have used several of those myself over the years with excellent results. Please be safe out there and have a great year! Next time you need some help with an RV problem, please ask for me again by name and it would be appreciated if you would tell your friends about our service here at Just Answer. Thanks! Randall

Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Will do my friend. The factory told me to unhook shore power and disconnect the positive cable at the inverter for 30 minutes then reattach cable and shore power. If it continues it will need to be replaced.

Basically, what we did already, but go ahead and do that.  What happens?

Randall

It will be a couple of days before I can do it. I have a chili cook off Saturday and need to get my cookers ready. When I get it done can I send the results to you on this thread?
I think I am just going to replace it and be done with it. If it does it this long then how long will a hard reset work? Know what I mean?

I thought that was already decided based on what Xantrex told you?

They want me to try and do a hard reset their way. I say just replace the dam thing.

Then do it their way I guess or replace it.  Not much more I can say here.

Randall

Replace it it is. Thanks again for tying. Appreciate it.

You are most welcome!  We did give it a good shot anyway.  Be safe!