RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Refrigerator not working unless you turn on generator. All…

Customer Question
Refrigerator not working unless...

Refrigerator not working unless you turn on generator

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes all other lights come on. It has been 5 days since I last drove this 2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38N. When I left I turned off the main and auxiliary battery at the door but not in the very back Compartment

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2018 Fleetwood?

6,000

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: RV
2/13/2022
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for contacting us about your RV. I am Robert and will be assisting you today. May I please have your name?

Kirk

Good morning Kirk.

Do you have the make and model of the fridge?

Thanks, Robert

Whirlpool

OK

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Tpye: 19MSTFASer #VS73843365Mod: WRT519SZDM02

So that is a residential style fridge that runs on AC power. This means the RV needs to be plugged into power, the generator needs to be running or the inverter needs to be ON when you are not plugged into power for it to work.

The inverter will take the DC battery voltage and make the AC voltage however if the battery voltage gets to low normally under 12.2 volts the inverter will shut down to prevent the batteries from discharging.

IF the fridge does not work plugged into shore power but does with the generator then I would check to see if all the other outlets are working on shore power, if none of the outlets are working then you may have an issue with the automatic transfer switch, it allows the AC power into the RV, it switches between shore and generator power.

IF the fridge works on both shore and generator but not off the inverter I would check your battery voltage to start.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Should I turn the inverter off and then back on? All the other 110 outlets work.I did see a low battery voltage light on when I started the coach but it went away in one minute.The batteries are reading 13.89 for main and 13.90 for auxiliary
the inverter should be turned off if you are plugged into power, the generator is running or you are not using the RV. The problem with running the inverter only is it will draw down on the batteries and then once it gets to a set point then it will shut down. IF you have good battery voltage now I would shut the generator off and see if the fridge is working.
When I turn on the generator or plug into shore power the inverter automatically shuts off right?I don't have to physically do that, do I?

YES the inverter senses the AC power and when you are plugged into power or the generator is running the inverter should not be inverting or in invert mode. Some set ups you have to hit invert on the panel when not plugged in or on shore power to have the AC power.

Robert

All other devices work. TV, microwave etc...
OK

And is this off the inverter only, not plugged into power and generator not running?

The generator as to be runningit's the inverterShould I turn it of and on
It has to be it tells me the fridge is not the problem or the AC wiring to the fridge, what changes when you shut the generator off is the inverter should supply the AC power to the fridge. You may want to locate the inverter and make sure it does not have a tripped breaker on it, most inverters will have one or two breakers on them, they can be small round buttons or switches, I am showing you have a 2000 watt inverter. Most likely it is outside near the house batteries but sometimes they can be inside, hard to know with all the Pace Arrow floor plans, nothing is ever in the same spot.

Robert