RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a 2008 Keystone 393 Toy hauler and when I try to fill…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Keystone 393 Toy hauler and when I try to fill the gas tank for the generator it won't take fuel. How do i fix this problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

No. The owner bought it new and it will take about 5 gal and won't fill anymore. it took me about 10 Minutes to get that much fuel in it and I know it is close to empty

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '08 RV?

Keystone Fusion 393 Toy Hauler

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything so far. The old owner said it did the same to him when he bought it new. is there a retrofit for this? the filler is almost horizontal with the Fuel Tank

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: RV
1/3/2022
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 9 months ago
James Davy

Good morning welcome to JUST answer my name is James.

Sorry to hear about your toy hauler issues.

Please give a minute to review your question.

Ok
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 9 months ago

I had the same problem on my Jayco toy hauler. The thing to look for does the hose go Stright into the tank without hanging down anywhere. the vent line needs to be clear also. After talking to the dealer and factory on my trailer they said it something in the design feature of the system. I found if I used my fuel station pump on the trailer it went right in. It does not pump as fast as the gas station. I also found if I filled the tank with a 5 gallon can it went right in. I never wanted to have a lot of gas in there because I didn't want it to get old. So, I  also just dumped coupe of 5-gallon cans in.

I used the fuel station pump on the trailer just as a test to fuel system.

There is no fix for this problem? No retro fit kit?It goes straight into the tank without hanging down
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 9 months ago

Try the other two ways to fill it as I suggested to see how gas flows. On motor homes with this problem, they would run up on blocks on that side to raise it.

Have you talked to Keystone and dealer about this? AND if so, what did they say.

Is the line pretty flat as it goes into the tank or is it at angle?

I have not talked to a keystone dealer. Yes it is pretty flat. It is not at an angle. I thought about putting it on blocks to raise the one side but I figured there would be a fix for it.
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 9 months ago

You can also try increasing the size of the vent line and see what that does.

Ok. Thanks. I figured out everything you already told me so I will go get answers elsewhere
RV Mechanic: James Davy,
 replied 9 months ago

Ok it also might be the baffles in the tank.  This a hard problem to solve unless you re engineer the system.  Keystone might have some more answers as they design the system. Or the gas tank MFG. might also be able to help you.