RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My Atwood hot water heater in my 2016 adventure camper will…

Customer Question
My Atwood hot water...

My Atwood hot water heater in my 2016 primetime adventure camper will not work on electric

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No no leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '16 RV?

A 2016 primetime avenger beige VIN number 911-850

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've made sure the tank was full trying to check the bypass valves I pretty much tried everything and I just can't figure it out

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

And when I turn my on/off switch on inside of my bathroom I hear a whining noise coming from outside and there's two flashing red lights on my circuit board

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: RV
12/29/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Will the water heater fire off on propane and heat the water? I understand the electric side is not working.

Robert

sirI'm just currently out of propane right now

OK

Got it, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

also I'm a little confused about the bypass valve is it supposed to be up and down or across

IF the gas side is in fact working and you do get hot water with the gas but not on electric then this could be a faulty circuit board, relay or AC heating element.

When you turn the electric switch ON DC voltage is sent to the board on a white wire that is on the connector that plugs into the board, if you have 12 volts on the white wire the next step is to check voltage on the yellow wire going to the relay for the AC side. IF you do not have voltage on the yellow wire with the electric switch ON but do have voltage on the white wire on the connector that plugs into the board then the board is bad.

IF you do have voltage on the yellow wire then the relay or AC heating element is the problem. The relay gets a 12 volt signal and allows the AC voltage to the element, the relay and AC heating element are opposite of the outside access panel. You also want to check the AC breaker inside the RV and make sure it is not tripped. The water will take a good 30 mins to heat up on electric mode and not all water heater have an electric option, you would have a dual switch inside one to turn the propane on and one for the electric side.

As far as the bypass I would need to see a picture, normally you will have a hot, cold and bypass the hot and cold should be open or valve handle running with the pipe and the bypass closed or valve handle running against the pipe. You can add photos into your response using the paper clip icon on the page.

Robert

there's only one switch inside and I will send you a picture of that as well as the bypass system
Also send me a photo of the model of the water heater, should be a sticker under the outside access panel, yours may not even work on electric.

No hurry on my end for the pictures, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

sir I will go back outside momentarily and get that picture for you

The one in the middle the valve handle needs to be against the pipe not with the pipe, cold water goes in at the bottom and hot comes out at the top.

Robert

Send me a photo of the sticker under the outside access panel for the water heater should start with a GC and then more letters and numbers.

Give me a few mins to look that model up.

Robert

That is a propane only model, if you had an electric option you would have the letter "C" in the model number, the C would mean combo plus the fact you only have one switch confirms this. I would get some propane and make sure it fires off. The middle valve was in the wrong position so good that was caught.

IF you still need  more help on this please let me know, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Okay

No problem at all, if the propane does not fire off or heat the water please get a hold of me and I can still help you with this, I am around daily and respond when I can, sometimes I am assisting others or away from my desk.

Have a fantastic day.

Robert

Thank yes sir thank you so very much for all your helps so very much

Glad I could help out!

Robert