RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

There is a light on the convenience panel that reads DSI/FLT…

Customer Question
There is a light...

There is a light on the convenience panel that reads DSI/FLT and is lighted when both of the Hot Water Heater switches for electric and gas are in the on position. It has been in the teens and at single digits outside, so I kept the unit on. After reading the manual that came with my 1995 model Lance TT 2018 - I have no idea if I should keep the pilot on all night or shut it down as I have done. What harm or safety issues am I facing overnight?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

They are the water heater on aand off switches inside the TT at the convenience panel. Next to those "on" position lights is a small light that reads DSI/FLT which has been reading on the past couple of days. Sso I shut the heater switches off.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Pilot yourself? What have you tried so far?

NO. I am disabled.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not sure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: RV
Anybody there?
12/14/2021
RV Mechanic: Randall, RVIA Certification replied 8 months ago
Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification

Good evening! My name Randall and I am a Master Certified RV Technician and have been in this business nearly 20 years and on this site for over 12 years. I have responded to over 75,000 questions, so there is not a lot I haven't seen or heard about. I also teach people like yourself about RV systems and appliances at the local JC every now and then. I know this is technical stuff, but I like to keep it personable if I can. Who am I assisting here with this please?

Sorry for the delay in someone getting to your question here! It has been crazy busy these last few days. I used to have an RV repair facility and worked on these systems for a living. Please give me a few minutes to type up an answer here for you. And don't be alarmed if I don't get right back to you when you respond. We work on more than one question at a time here when it is busy like it is now. I may be on a phone chat with another customer and those usually last less than 5 minutes. Your patience is appreciated! Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer and your trust in our reputation is appreciated!

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your hot water heater. I can imagine how frustrating that can be! I should be able to assist you with this issue and help you get this sorted out quickly and I will try my best not to make this sound like "rocket science", but please remind me about that if I do. Thanks! Randall

Okay

The red light is telling you that the LP gas mode is trying to ignite (or would, if it could), but since the AC mode is on as well and has the water already heated up then the thermostat won't allow it to come on.  It won't really hurt anything and most of the time you would use both at the same time when the water is cold and you want it to heat up as quickly as possible.  Does that make sense here?  Randall

If you thought that there was any chance that the power might go off in the night then you might want to leave the LP gas mode switch on.  Otherwise, you would usually leave it off.  With the water hot in the tank there is little danger of the water in the tank freezing.  Maybe check on adding some additional insulation to the rest of the lines unless the furnace is on for some heat in the cabin.  I hope this proves helpful.  Randall

I hope this information proves helpful and points you in the right direction. Please feel free to get back to me again later if you need additional assistance with this issue as we have no time limits on our questions where some follow ups are needed in order to fully resolve an issue.

Thank you for bringing your question to us here at Just Answer to find a solution! I hope you will keep us in mind the next time you have an RV issue that needs some immediate attention. Much of our business here at Just Answer comes from repeat customers! You might keep in mind that we have dozens of other categories that can address all kinds of problems. I have used several of those myself over the years with excellent results. Please be safe out there and have a great day! Randall

The AC is not apart of it. I understand that both help to keep the water hot. But during the night when it's 0 outside and the additional light came on reading FSI/FLT is my concernBut you did not answer MY ❓❓❓

I told you that since the water is already hot that the LP gas model won't come on even though it would if the water was cold.  So just turn it off.  It doesn't need to be on.  Maybe that wasn't clear before.  Randall

I TOLD YOU THAT IM NOT TALKING ABOUT COLD WATER
WHAT FOES IT MEAN WHEN THE FSI/FLT LIGHT IS ON????Dsi/flt LIGHT is on????you don't know what this possible warning light is then: DSI/FLT???ANSWER MY CONCERN AS YOU DID NOT ADDRESS IT!!!!!
IT MEANS THAT THE LP GAS MODE FOR THE WATER HEATER IS ON.  TURN IT OFF!
No it doesn't I KNOW THIS BECAUSE IT HAS ONLY COME ON THE LAST TWO DAYS,Thanks for nothing !

I don't know how else to explain this to you.  Maybe read the User's Guide for the water heater.  That is what it is for.  I suspect I know a bit more about this that you might here.  It comes on IF you have the switch set to the "On" position for the LP gas mode.  I can't say why it didn't come on before.  It is on now and doesn't need to be on so turn it "OFF" and the light will go out.  Randall

Both switches were on for months. The only one that just came on 2 days ago was the DSI/FLT. GET OT?

Maybe take it into the shop and have them check it for you.  I can't tell you why it didn't come on before.  The contacts on the board might be dirty or the board may have a bad solder joint.  Have it tested and if you are concerned about it then install a new one made by Dinosaur Electronics in Oregon.  You will want a "UIB-64" version.  That would probably resolve this issue for the next few years at least.

It could be related to the ignition. I can't take it in anywhere. What is a UIB 64I'm on ColoradoDolores COWaste of time!

The other reason why that might not have come on before during all those months was that the DC voltage was too low from sitting there and so it didn't have enough input voltage to come on.  It has to be over 11 volts in order to work.  The Dinosaur Electronics board part number is "UIB-64" and you can buy one on Amazon.  It comes with excellent instructions.  It might take 15 minutes to install it.

I live on the damn thing!

Sorry we wasted so much of each other's time here.  It happens sometimes!

You have no customer service !

Way too much sometimes.

You are a jerk plus tax!

If your hot water works then quit worrying about it!  Pretty simple really.

none of these units catch fire, right?

Since I assist about 9,000 customers a year here and that with a 95% satisfaction rating I would say most people would not agree with your assessment.  No problem as it happens and is part of the job.

No, they don't.  Not from that.

But you didn't know why?

Yes, I do.  They have too many safety features that keep that from happening.

Why didn't you just say that instead of being a dick ?!?

That would be something your User's Manual would tell you if you bothered to read it.  And you didn't ask me about catching fire!  If that was your concern you should have said that about 45 minutes ago.