RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile. One 15amp 110v circuit throws…

Customer Question
2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile...

2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile. One 15amp 110v circuit throws shore power breaker. I need a schematic and a location for each receptacle on this circuit. Owners manual says outside receptacle, galley receptacle, tv/AV receptacle, and battery charger are on this circuit. I can’t even find where the battery charger is located.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I have had help by an electrician to troubleshoot this.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: RV
12/12/2021
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago
KevinS121

Howdy and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** and I am a Master Certified RV Tech. I have been working on RVs for 35 plus years. I understand how frustrating RV issues can be.  I see you are having some electrical issues with your motorhome.  If you look at your breaker and fuse panel, are there any fuses not in line with the other fuses?

No
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

Can you take a picture of what you are seeing?  you might have a deck mount power converter that is located inside a cabinet or behind the breakers and fuse panel.  It might look something like this.

RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

Do you by chance have a multimeter to measure voltage in several places?

If I knew where the inverter/battery charger was to take a picture of we would have tested it. I can't find it. We took voltages where appropriate, but that doesn't help since the circuit in question, when the breaker is turned on throw the breaker at the shore power source. Leave the breaker for faulty circuit off, everything else is fine.Where is the battery charger/inverter located on a 2010 Roadtrek 210 Versatile?
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

Let me see your power center where your fuses and breakers are located.  It will help me determine whether or not the converter is part of it.

Notice I have the bottom breaker off. With this off everything else works. If I flip this breaker on, it causes 30amp gfci to throw at shore power box.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

Check any of the outlets that are close to a water source on on the outside of the van.

Only one outside outlet, a gfci in a water tight box. Gfci was bad and has been replaced. This outlet is on circuit in question and appears to be first one on circuit. When we connect only incoming wires to it and kick breaker on, it works. When we connect outgoing wires to it and turn on breaker, it throws shore power breaker.Will check fridge gfci, but that will take a while.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

You can access it from the outside door.  I will be back in about an hour or so.

Fridge is on separate circuit dedicated circuit, so that is not the problem.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

Ok.  Do you have a multimeter to test all the outlets to find which one of the breakers go to what?

The other thing that I would look at is the wire connections on the breaker area and make sure all the wires are tight.

The converter is going to be in a cabinet and there should be a vent in the cabinet to allow the converter to cool.  It will normally be close to the power center.  Maybe under the kitchen cabinet.

They are. My electrician checked all. As I stated initially when I signed up for this sight, he checked all outlets and their connections. Also stated initially is owners manual states outside outlet (gfci), battery charger, galley outlet (gfci) TV/AV outlet, and bath outlet (gfci) are all on this circuit. We replaced Outside outlet which was bad. Also, bath outlet is end of the line. We can't find the battery charger and owners manual is no help.It is not under kitchen cabinet. Just rechecked that.Looks like I need to call Roadtrek to locate battery charger.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

That is why I said to look under the cabinets or possibly under the bed.  It will be a deck mount converter like I showed you.  Are there any false walls under the kitchen cabinet?  They put these converters in many different places.  I have to just go looking for them on every unit that I encounter.

Are you familiar with the Roadtrek Versatile model? The bed is in the rear and it is a sofa bed with open storage under it, so it isn't there. I will search again under cabinets. We took panels out of closet and found various wires there but nothing that helped.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

I have seen over 6000 different RVs in my time as a RV technician.  I cannot remember all the units that I have worked on, but  I have worked on many roadtrek RVs.

I understand.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

You might look under the seat portions of the sofa bed

Nope . Not there. It appears they hid this one well.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

they do in a lot of them.

Thanks for the help. Heading out for the evening. I will start back on this tomorrow morning.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

My pleasure.  I will be on line tomorrow all day after 9 AM CST.

Have you by chance removed the power center and looked behind it?

checked all wire connections thereWe had hoped that we might find the converter there, but didn't.
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

I just pulled up the owners manual and it does not give an exact location.

I know. And I found nothing so far on the internet
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

I would recommend contacting roadtrek on Monday.

This probably isn't the actual problem anyway, but it seems to be next to check.I agree
RV Mechanic: KevinS121,
 replied 9 months ago

Here is there contact information.

https://roadtrek.com/contact-us/