RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Furnace comes on and then shuts off after a few seconds.

Furnace comes on and...

Furnace comes on and then shuts off after a few seconds. When it comes in the air is cold and it doesnt heat up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

This is a 5th wheel. No coolant or radiator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2010 keystone montana 3605rl hickory edition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?

We changed the propane tank to a new full tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I don't think so.

11/24/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the furnace.

After the fan comes up to speed can you hear the electrode trying to spark? This will be key, if needed go outside and listen after the fan comes on for that sparking and then let me know.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now the furnace just kicked in and it starting to warm. But, it usually takes us 6 times or so of turning it off and on before it comes on. And, it doesn't usually stay on and bring the temp in the camper up to the temp set. It usually shuts off about 5 degrees or more below the temp.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Sounds like you may have a few issues with the furnace.

For the furnace to start the fan needs to spin fast enough for the sail switch to pass voltage to the circuit board. The sail switch sits inside the blower motor housing and is a paddle that makes contact with a micro switch. Once the the paddle makes contact voltage is passed to the circuit board. Make sure you have good DC voltage after the fan kicks on if the battery voltage was dropping below 12 volts the fan would come on but it may not blow fast enough for the sail switch to close. This would apply if you can not hear the electrode sparking, sometimes debris can get caught between the paddle and switch.

IF the electrode is sparking then the board and electrode are suspect if it is not firing off. The problem here is you say that it will not come all the way up to temp before it shuts down, so that would indicate a thermostat or high limit issue. On the furnace is a high limit which sits on the burner when it gets to a set point it will shut the furnace down if it gets to hot.

So you may have a few issues here, the starting problem and the furnace not coming all the way up to temp. No start with no spark the sail switch is suspect to me since sometimes it does start. The furnace not coming all the way up to temp has mean thinking it is the high limit or thermostat.

IF the furnace has been sitting all summer I might get an air nozzle and blow out the exhaust, sometimes mud daubers can crawl inside the exhaust into the burner and when this happens the furnace may be hard to start and if the burner is obstructed it may cause it to overheat.

You may want to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area that can perform a service on the furnace as that may take care of the problem, a service on the furnace would include testing the circuit board, testing the propane pressure, cleaning the burner, inspecting the sail switch and electrode. IF you have NO outside access panel the furnace would have to be removed and it would take about 3 hours of labor for a tech to pull and service the furnace and put it back in.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great, thank you. We will call a tech to service the furnace.

Sounds good!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you! ***** to you as well!

Thanks!

Robert

Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good afternoon Robert. I have another question. Our furnace isn't coming in at all now. I checked the air and it also doesn't come on. The fan does come on, but not the air or the furnace.