RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

2020 Jayco Pennacle has dfld 40121 heater. When turn on have…

Customer Question
2020 Jayco Pennacle...

2020 Jayco Pennacle has dfld 40121 heater. When turn on have to crank temp to 78 or up to get to come on and then goes out and blows reset switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

Did not know coolant in rv propane heater system....ac unit is separate I thought

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '20 RV?

Pinnacle ssws 2020

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

We went thru all last winter with no heater as the sealer pulled it out to fix and we had no heat til after winter.....this is really first time you can tell but it cuts its self off with reset switch on top of unit. no one can seem to find the problem.....last winter in hill country of texas we had severe snow....don't want to go thru that again....wondering if the thermostat is bad? works ok on ac unit. we have power source of shore power, battery (checked they are all good), gasoline generator installed in unit.....really at a loss as what to do.....

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Not that can think of

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the furnace, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

This can be a tricky one to diagnose online, if the furnace is shutting down on you the first item I would look at is the high limit if the furnace runs for a set amount of time and then stops working, the problem with the high limit is it normally sits on the burner housing and the furnace would need to be removed again to get at it.

Make sure you also have good DC battery voltage, if for some reason the battery voltage was dropping off the fan would slow down and when that happens the furnace would shut down.

The circuit board on the furnace is also suspect, most good mobile RV techs or shops can test the board with a special board tester and see if the board is bad or not.

IF the furnace needs to be removed it may be best for a shop or mobile RV tech to diagnose this and the furnace should be tested when installed and not just on the bench.

Normally if the furnace shuts down you do have to hit the reset switch on it to get it working again.

You could try a new thermostat as well to see what happens, it would be all plug and play for swapping it out. IF you have to crank the thermostat way up to get it to come on then possible the thermostat is not working correctly and that should be something you can do without a shop or tech, if the thermostat does not solve the problem then I might have the other items checked out if the furnace needs to be removed.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have had in shop twice & no luck...where best place to get digital thermometer as we also have a heat pump...

The heat pump works from the AC unit it is not meant to do the main heating, it is meant to take the chill out of the air and they do not work very well in cold temps.

You should be able to find the same thermostat online if you can send me a photo of your thermostat I should be able to send you a link where you can get one. You can add photos into your response using the paper clip icon on the page.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
TKS will do

Also I did check for recalls and since the furnace is starting I wanted to mention this recall as it involves the propane system, hard for me to know if this has anything to do with the problem you are having. Below are the details.

Robert

Jayco, Inc. (Jayco) is recalling certain 2017-2018 Jayco Designer, 2017-2021 Eagle HT, Eagle, Jay Feather, Jay Flight SLX, Jay Flight, North Point, Octane Superlite, Pinnacle, White Hawk, 2017-2020 Eagle HT, 2018-2021 Jay Flight Bungalow, 2017-2019 Octane, and 2019-2020 Eagle HTX travel trailers and fifth wheels equipped with a Winntec model 6020 two-stage propane regulator. The regulator may fail, causing an increase in propane pressure.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the regulator and test the propane system for leaks, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed August 3, 2021. Owners may contact Jayco customer service at 1-***-***-****.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Already had that done....

OK I like to check  for owners to see if a recall may have something to do with the issue at hand, so that is good the recall has been done.

Robert