RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

Furnace blower blows but it won’t lite after it ran out of…

Customer Question
Furnace blower blows but...

Furnace blower blows but it won’t lite after it ran out of propane. I may have recycled it too many times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Furnace won’t ignite

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2019 coachmen chaparral 370fl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Turned on the stovetop to bleed the lines and stovetop did work. Shut the power off and restarted it. Replaced the propane tanks.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
11/20/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

OkNo just text me

Go to the propane tank and shut the supply valve and then slowly open it up, sometimes if the supply valve is opened to fast the regulator might lock up and you may not get full line pressure, slowly open the valve and then run the stove burner for about 10 mins and then try the furnace again, it is going to take multiple attempts to get it going if the furnace was running when you ran out of propane. So I would leave the stove going while trying to light it off each time, it may take a dozen tries on this. After the fan comes up to speed you should also hear the electrode trying to spark the propane, if the electrode is NOT sparking then it is not going to be a propane issue, that would be a sail switch or board issue. IF the electrode is sparking then the propane comes into play.

I do not offer calls, the company Just Answer does for an added fee, it is an option only.

Robert

Looks like In order to do a restart I would need to remove the furnace.

Many furnaces have a reset or ON/OFF switch on them, that would apply if the fan is not coming on at all the furnace may go into a lock out mode.

Robert

I did this already. Just kept trying to restart with the thermostat and it ran for a bit then just quit. How do I access the reset button?

Depends on the make and model of the furnace, do you have that information? If you have access to the circuit board on the furnace you can also unplug the connector on the board for a few min and plug it back in. IF you do not have an outside access panel for the furnace then access will have to be inside the RV which means you probably will have to remove some components to get at the furnace. Very hard for me to direct you on that part because RV manufacturers will put the appliances in first and then the cabinets and each floor plan can be different so hard for me to know, not really knowing the problem but access is always difficult. IF you do have an outside access panel then everything should be in that location, some RV's just have an exhaust port on the side of the RV, some have that access panel.

Robert

I just bought this from a private party and it was delivered with no propane. When I went to turn on the furnace I may have tried too many times before I realized it was out of propane.

I understand that and when the fan comes on you have to listen for the electrode, if the electrode is not sparking then it is not a propane issue in order for the propane to work the sail switch needs to make contact from the fan, once that happens the gas solenoid opens up and then the electrode starts to spark.

You may want to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area as well if access looks difficult, if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at you should get a listing of techs in your area, I used to do mobile RV repair and would cover a 100 mile radius. Just another idea for you on this.

Robert

There is no outside access. The furnace is under the stove we can’t access the front side only the back side. Doesn’t look like removing the stove is an option. I will go out to the camper and get the furnace info.

It would be almost impossible for me to tell you how to gain access inside as I explained each floor plan is different and the RV manufacturer will install the furnace and then put everything around it. The best I can do for you is send you a manual that shows the switch once I have the make and model.

Robert

It is a DF series furnaceAll I can see are 3 big round circles

OK

Give me a few.

Robert

SO if you look on the top of the furnace you should see a wiring harness with red and blue wires, the harness will go to the switch, below is a manual link for this furnace see page 4.

I will be gone for 30 mins, I go have coffee with my dad each morning and check in with him. I will respond if needed when I return.

Robert

https://epi.dometic.com/externalassets/dometic-large-furnace_9600001221_81453.pdf

We live in Minnesota and it is was 40 degrees when we tried it. Could this be part of the issue?Ok. I will go try it again.
It is still doing the same thing. I tried turning down the thermostat and then turning it up a little. Same result. Did turn on the stove top.My husband is thinking we need to remove the furnace and do a restart. Or issue is that the camper may need to be warmed up.Removing the furnace is going to take a lot!!

I am trying to point you in the best possible direction, I am sorry that access to the furnace is bad.

Can you hear the electrode sparking after the fan comes up to speed?

the temperature has nothing to do with this.

Robert

There is no spark

OK

So it is not a propane problem. Let me go into some details for you on this.

Robert

Ok

As the fan comes up to speed it blows on a sail switch, the sail switch is a paddle that makes contact with a micro switch and once that happens voltage is passed to the circuit board only then do you get spark.

Make sure you have good DC battery voltage AFTER the fan comes on, if the voltage was dropping below 12 volts DC then fan can slow down and not spin fast enough to close the sail switch,

Sometimes the sail switch can get lint or debris between the paddle and the micro-switch, you would need to inspect it, on your model the sail switch is mounted to the blower motor housing, you will see two sets of blue wires going to it and will have two screws that have to be removed and the sail switch will pull out, again access may be an issue with no outside access panel.

The circuit board on the furnace is also suspect, most good RV shops or mobile RV techs can test the board with a special board tester.

Below is a link that shows the sail switch on the blower motor housing it is marked # 2.

Again you may want to consider seeing if a mobile RV tech is in the area that can come to you if access is poor.

The electrode should be sparking regardless if propane is present or not.

Robert

We got the furnace out and the sail switch was stuck. It now works.Thanks

Great Job!!!!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Robert