RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have a sanibel fifth wheel. the rv carbon monoxide/propane…

Customer Question
Second Opinion] i have...

Second Opinion] i have a sanibel fifth wheel. the rv carbon monoxide/propane gas alarm was sounding. i pressed the rtest button and the sound stopped. in reading the manual we got with rig it says this detecter doesnt work without batteriues. I.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

I cant find any way to replace the batteries

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

2016 sanibel 36 foot

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Again i cant find any way to replace batteries

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
11/19/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the CO/propane detector, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

The detector is hard wired to the DC (battery) system. The first step is to make sure you have good battery voltage, it the voltage gets below 11.5 volts or so the detector can go off for low voltage.

The detector can also go off if you have used any aerosols, even the chemicals in dog food can set them off if placed directly under the detector.

Inside the detector is a sensor and over time they can get weak, it is recommended you replace the detector every 5 years, so if if you have good DC batter voltage and do not smell any propane then it may be time to be replaced.

You would also want to smell in the cabinet near the floor-line, propane is heavier then air and will sink to ground level and become stagnate so you may not smell it up high in the air but down low.

IF you do not have a battery hooked up I would install one, a battery acts as a filter for the power converter so it is always a good idea to have a battery hooked up.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can.

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Randall was very professional and helpful. 5STARS from me

You requested a second opinion and I have provided a response for you, below is my response.

Robert