RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

S1621 goes to check on elec or gas after about 1min. All…

Customer Question
S1621 goes to check...

S1621 goes to check on elec or gas after about 1min

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the vehicle start—same as usual?

All good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your RV?

Wild wood camper 1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Does the same thing on gas or elec

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
11/17/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

When you are plugged into power and the fridge is in auto it should always want to work on electric, if you loose the AC power then the fridge will default to propane, if the fridge fires to light off on propane then the check light comes on.

The first step is to check the outlet the fridge is plugged into or even better get an extension cord and plug the fridge into an outside source. The fridge uses DC power to turn on, so if the outlet did not have voltage or a problem with the wiring to the outlet the fridge would still turn on and want to work on propane. IF the outlet is good leave the fridge unplugged, under the outside access panel is a circuit board, the cover comes off the board, on the board are some fuses one for the AC side and one for the DC side. IF the AC fuse was blown then the fridge would default to propane. IF the DC fuse was blown the fridge would not even turn on.

IF the AC power to the fridge is good, the fuse is good on the board and it is defaulting to propane then I suspect the board is the issue.

The fridge should be firing off on propane as well, for that what I would check is the burner tube and make sure nothing has gotten inside of it. Go to the outside access and locate the vertical flue pipe, bottom of the pipe is a metal protection cover, remove the cover and you will see a slotted tube, the electrode or what sparks the propane sits above it. Get an air nozzle and blow of the tube really good, sometimes bugs and debris can get into the tube and when that happens the fridge may not fire off, if the fridge does not fire off only then does the check light come on.

IF you want to check things out and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can,

Robert