RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

RV Furnace Atwood Model 8535-IV-DCLP Unusual smell from

Customer Question
RV Furnace Atwood Model 8535-IV-DCLP Unusual smell...
RV Furnace
Atwood Model 8535-IV-DCLP
Unusual smell from outside exhaust, as if the flame is too yellow...
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with smell from the furnace, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

So the first thing I would do is get an air nozzle and blow out the exhaust, sometimes mud daubers can get inside the exhaust into the chamber and make nests and that may smell if it is burning. Typically you see this issue when a RV sits for an extended period of time.

The LP pressure should also be verified the only true way to check the pressure is with a manometer, most mobile RV techs and shops have this tool to test the pressure, if the pressure was off it can cause problems with the furnace being over or under fired and can have smell. The propane pressure should be checked yearly as well.

Robert

I suspect something besides a "pressure change." If this was a Range Top Burner I'd lean the mixture to remove this type of oder from the flame. Can't find an air adjustment to this burner. Another suggestion please.

Below is a link for a service manual, I would inspect the burner head and make sure it does not have a hole in it, sometimes that can happen see page 40.

Just because all the other LP appliances are working does not mean the pressure is correct. Go to the propane tank, shut the supply valve and then slowly open it up and run a stove burner for several mins, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator may lock up and you might not get the proper pressure.

IF the burner was dirty or something got inside it may smell abnormal. No air adjustment on this, the pressure is constant at around 11.5" of water colmun.

Look the service manual over as well it may help out.

Robert

https://myrvworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Atwood-Furnace-Training-Manual.pdf