RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

We have a Mercedes sprinter with a Jayco camper. The heater…

Customer Question
We have a Mercedes...

We have a Mercedes sprinter with a Jayco camper. The heater will not come on and stay on. Several plugs are not working as well. What can cause this problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

No leaks are evident. Engine was just serviced.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sprinter?

2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

We just bought it and took it out. Plenty of propane.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Hot water is only warm not hot. Stored with ac , only 4500 miles on it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
11/14/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Thanks

Sorry to hear you are having all these issues with your RV, please allow me several mins to type a response.

Thanks, Robert

I am not so sure these are going to be related with the furnace and outlets not working.

The furnace uses DC battery power to turn on and work.

The outlets are AC power.

The power converter takes the AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery, if the power converter is not getting AC voltage then the batteries are not going to charge, if you are plugged into power you should have over 13 volts DC, if the voltage is dropping off below 12 volts when the fan comes on for the heater then it may not fire off.

For the outlets not working go to the breaker panel and shut off all the breakers and then turn them back on, sometimes a breaker can trip and not look like it. Go around the RV and make sure you do not have a tripped GFI, these will be outlets with a test and reset on them, they are normally in the bathroom and or galley areas but can be located just about anywhere else in the RV.

IF you have an inverter you want to check that as well for a tripped breaker, an inverter allows you to have AC power when the RV is not plugged in, not all RV's have them and some it is an option, you would have some type of switch or remote panel inside the RV to turn it on and off.

For the furnace troubleshooting, make sure you have good DC battery voltage, if the fan is coming on the next step is to listen for the electrode sparking, if needed go outside to the exhaust, have someone start the furnace and listen for some clicking coming from the furnace and let me know. It will be key if the electrode is sparking or not on what to look at.

Robert

I'm sure they are not related either, but the furnace has me puzzled. This was our first time to use this and couldn't figure out the furnace problem. I will review the trouble shooting link you sent. ThanksThanks for the info. I'm not at the RV right now but getting ready to go back to it a bit later. I will try listening for the electrodes striking. I'll let you know then what I find out. Thanks

For the furnace need to know if the fan is coming on and if the electrode is sparking, if the fan is coming on but the electrode is not sparking then it could be low DC voltage, faulty sail switch or circuit board. IF the electrode is sparking then it can be the board, propane pressure issue or the actual electrode.

Let me know if you need more help on this, I am around daily and respond when I can. I will not be around until 3 pm PST today, wife made lots of plans for the day!

Robert

Thanks, ***** ***** turn the heat on the fan comes on for about 30 seconds then quits. No heat comes out during that time, it just quits.

Yes but you have to listen for the electrode sparking as that will be key. When you respond back later try and get me the make and model of the furnace as that will help.

Robert

Will do

Sounds good!

Have a great day, chat with you later.

Robert