RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

I have electricity but no power. My DC power seems to be…

Customer Question
I have electricity but...

I have electricity but no power. My DC power seems to be working and when i check connection it is all hot but no power. I have a 2017 jayco jayflight 284 bhsw

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Const

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your '17 RV?

Jayco jayflight 284 bhsw

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and seemingly everything from fuses to breakers to outside box and checking connectivity to all wires coming and going. All hot by the way

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I dont think so except i believe that im having the same issue with my other camper also

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: RV
hello
11/13/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

ok thank you

The power is split, AC power and DC power.

The AC power would be the outlets, TV and microwave.

The DC power would be the lights, furnace etc.

Are you plugged into power? Are you missing the AC voltage and DC voltage or just the DC voltage?

Robert

i said earlier to the asst that i have DC and i have elect to the camper but no actual power as in AC power

I just need to be sure the exact problem I am sorry I had to ask you a follow up.

Please allow me several mins to type a response.

Robert

thats fine

The AC power comes from the supply post you plug into direct to the breaker panel UNLESS the RV has a generator or is prepped for one. IF you have a generator built in or it is prepped for one then you have an ATS, Automatic Transfer Switch, it detects the incoming AC power source and switches between shore and generator power.
The power converter takes the incoming AC voltage and makes the DC voltage and charges the battery. When plugged in you should have over 13.5 volts at the battery.

So if you have ALL the DC power but not the AC power reset the breakers in the main breaker panel, go around the RV and make sure you have no tripped GFI's, these will be outlets with a test and reset on them.

I might also try another supply source direct with no cords or adapters, some owners will try and plug into a standard 110 house outlet with the RV and that can cause all kinds of issues, adapters and extension cords can also fail.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.

Robert

ok, i have tried breakers and outdoor hardwire to box, i changed 3 times. i cant find a GFI anywhere in my camper. i have 11 outlets and none have gfi button. like i said i have power all the to outlets but actual power coming out. tested with voltagemeter

Normally the GFI's are going to be in the bathroom and or galley areas but can also be located outside of the RV.

Are you plugging the RV into a standard 110 house outlet?

Robert

no, i have it going to the fusebox. it is wired with 12/2 romex that handles 120 V.i cant find any outlets that have gfi.

Possible they have been removed you should always have at least one GFI in the RV.

This sounds like a complex issue you are having. Typically you would want to plug the RV into another power source direct and see what happens. A 30 amp service is one hot leg of 120 volts coming into the RV, not 240 volts, a 50 amp service is two hot legs of 120 coming into the RV not 240 direct.

IF you are wired in a way where you only have 15 amps to a standard 110 outlet you can have line loss where the voltage drops off, you mention you have power to ALL the outlets but not coming out which should not be the case.

You may want to see if a mobile RV tech is in the area that can come to you to help you sort this out, normally if you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at you should get a listing of any techs in the area. Very hard for me to say what is going on.

Robert

ok, let me ask you this, if i have no gfi is there another way to reset my outlets? how can i reset my control box or breakers as you had said earlier? do you mean just switching on and off or is there a more technical solutioni live about 30 miles from town and i dont have anyone that come out here.

Your problem seems a bit complex, I suggested you plug the RV into another power source direct to see if the power comes back to the outlets. The only other item that may prevent voltage to the outlets is if you have an inverter, an inverter allows you to have AC power when you are not plugged in. IF you do have an inverter you want to check that for a tripped breaker most all inverters will have one or two breakers on them and can be small round buttons or switches.

It can be a challenge online troubleshooting complex electrical issues, I do try my best to provide the best possible direction.

Robert