RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

For hooking up my 2019 rv to shorepower, what number gauge…

Hello, for hooking up...

Hello, for hooking up my 2019 rv to shorepower, what number gauge should I get with my power cord?

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. What is the make/model of your '19 RV?

It’s a Winnebago Revel*****

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

The RV? It’s a Class B. It’s in very good condition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well sorry I don’t know the gauge of the one I’m using. The Electrician suggested 12 gauge

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I’m also having heating issues

Hello?Am I connected?
11/11/2021
RV Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Glad you've come here and are willing to let us at Just Answer assist you. May I get the first name of the person I am helping?

Please sit tight as I work on your question, it should be no more than 15-minutes.

CarolynFrom Washington Stateit’s raining….I’m not near my Van, but I can drive backI’ll drive back. Should take 8 mins or so

Carolyn, sorry you are experiencing this frustrating wiring issue.

The wiring used will be based on the distance of the wiring, is your camper 30-50 amp, and are you planning to at times run all of your appliances.

A 30 amp cord that is 25 foot is 10 gauge wire https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extension-PowerGrip-Handles-55191/dp/B000BUU5YU/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?keywords=rv+power+cord&qid=1636670794&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSjBESUhROVA2TkM1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTI3NTg2MlVMSTBHWk04VTFYNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTc5ODQ3SFNEM1BTNURDRUhTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

A 50 amp cord that is 30 foot is 8 gauge wire https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extension-PowerGrip-Convenient-Carrying/dp/B0024ECIP0/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=rv+power+cord+50+amp&qid=1636670891&qsid=136-2395783-2028511&sr=8-5&sres=B0024ECIP0%2CB08ZMLQDBP%2CB013FR7ZCU%2CB071G4M3DK%2CB085HNNQHD%2CB08HGTNJNX%2CB01NADGGYC%2CB071RYT73Q%2CB01FZBJ5E0%2CB08HGLV1L3%2CB092QKL8SX%2CB07RQWGCLB%2CB098WLXZQV%2CB00268VSJ6%2CB06XTSQG3G%2CB08RBVRD8F%2CB012ZYZWGU%2CB085HLK6LW%2CB08MLLKPX7%2CB092349TZS&srpt=POWER_CORD

If you are wiring it up at your home and need to add a plug to the house to connect to, then it needs to match the shore cord wire gauge or larger. Here is a chart http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg I recommend 8 gauge at the least, and 6 at the least if this is a 50 amp camper (2 air conditioners)

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed if not please press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know. Moose

A minute

Your reply was "a minute" do you have any questions about the answer I sent a few minutes ago?

would a 14 amp be enough?I’m having some heating issuesI was driving to get to my VanIt has one AC

No, 14 gauge wire is not enough for a camper. 14 gauge can only carry 20 amps. Your camper is 30amps since it has one AC unit. How far is the camper going to be from the breaker box?

4 minutes to get to the Van, pleaseAhhh, i was plugging in into a regular wall outletPlease allow me 4 min to get to the Van

I will be here when you are ready.

Above was inside Van

All campers can work on a 15-20 amp house plug, a 30 amp plug (wired for a camper NOT FOR 220/240 volts), a 50 amp plug.

The max amount of amps is suggested so you can use all the things in the camper. When you plug up to fewer amps, you cannot run everything and your plugs and wiring can get dangerously hot. You are not getting enough amps through your extension cord and through your surge protector.

If you choose to continue running from an extension cord you will have to use much less appliances inside the camper.

It would be best to have your electrician add you a 30 amp plug for your camper. Make sure he wires it up as 120 volts, not as 240 volts.

But would that affect why I’m not getting heat in the Van, when I hear the diesel burner running? (The radiant heat)

You would need to test the car charger outlet using a voltmeter, some are wired up as 240 volts like a stove and dryer. You CANNOT put that many volts to your camper, things will smoke and burn up.

Low amperage can affect the camper's heating ability.

I need to go be a Cub Master to 78 little boys. I will be back later if you have more concerns.

Okay I’ll unplug it. Could that be why there’s no heat. And would it work with the electric car hookup?Okay, just if you could answer that last question. Ps my son is an Eagle Scout

Trying to get both of my sons there as well, well at least the 1st half of scouts.

Carolyn, did you read in my last reply about the car charger plug I spoke about?

Okay, I think I got it. I’ll be very careful with the electrical hookups. Good luck with Scouting. I miss those days. My son is now almost 24. Thanks for the help. Goodbye

Glad to help. If you need to respond to this concern later, please do so. Thanks for letting us help you. In the future, if help with new concerns is needed and you would like me to help. Open a new question at www.justanswer.com then write "For Chris-aka-Moose ONLY" at the beginning of your question.

Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Okay and thank you again

You are welcome