RV

Have RV questions? Ask an RV mechanic online.

My main awning which is a dometic power 18 ft awning will…

Customer Question
My main awning which...

My main awning which is a dometic power 18 ft awning will not open I check the power I do have power at the switch I tried to jump the switch to see if I can get the awning to come out and the awning will not come out

Mechanic's Assistant: The RV Mechanic will know what to do about your switch. Do you have any other details that could be helpful?

No that is the only thing

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

The awning did work 5 months ago the trailer is located in Southern Florida

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: RV
10/26/2021
RV Mechanic: Robert, RV Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic

Hi, I'm Robert. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply momentarily.

If you jumped voltage direct to the awning motor and it did not move then the motor sounds like the problem, make sure the arms are not stuck as well, if the RV has been sitting sometimes they can stick, give them a tap with the palm of your hand and make sure they are not sticking.

The only other test is to get at the awning motor connector in the arm and jump voltage so the wiring from the switch to the motor is ruled out. This would mean you would need to open the awning manually a few feet, I am thinking you have a 9100 series if the RV is newer then 2019 you might have a 9200 series, below is a link for the 9100 series see manual operation, you would need to do the opposite, and would be a two person job, once the bolts are removed from the top casting on the motor side the awning can be pulled out but you have to be careful while doing this as the other side will have tension when you pull it out, so you would get it out about 4' and then locate the motor connector and jump voltage and see if the manual moves.

See link below page 8 Pull strap method.

Robert

https://www.dometic.com/externalassets/dometic-9100-power-patio-awning-hardware_73709.pdf

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to pull awning out to get to motor wires, awning would only come out less than an inch. I also removed the set screw in motor side of the awning and it still wouldn't come any farther downIs this something you've seen beforeCan you extend the awning so I can get to the motor wires

In order for the awning to come out the pull strap is required center of the awning tube.

IF you could not get the awning out then I would see if a mobile RV tech is in the area. If you do an online search RV mobile repair and the zip code you are at you should get a listing of techs in the area. I used to do mobile RV repair and would cover a 100 mile radius.

I explained how to get the awning out manually, only way it will come out so I might have a tech assist you, at least the awning is stuck in and not out.

Awning motors can fail see it all the time, if the tension spring on the other side has failed then normally when you release the top casting bolt on the motor side that side will come out and not the other side (non motor side).

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pull strap method will not work,as this is a power awning. So if I understand your recommendation, you want me to call a mobile tech to fix the issue

Yes if you can not get the awning out manually it would be very difficult to get at the motor when it is installed. I am all for the RV owner doing repairs but something is not right and it sounds to me the motor gears may have busted and it is not allowing the motor or manual method to operate it.

Robert